Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New from SW-Sydney.

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd introduce myself in here. I decided I would become "properly" involved in some woodwork in my spare time. "properly" because although I do a bit of workwork, its nothing to be proud of, and I want to learn the proper ways of doing things basically.

I decided to do that I would start from the bottom, no electrical tools no nothing for the first few months. So with a gift card from my 23rd birthday I went out, bought some new tools including;

*Decent set of chisels, marking tools, adjustable square (i have a few aging fixed squaring tools).
    * quick grips! because my ancient metal C-clamps are a right pain in the A when I want to clamp quickly.
    *coping saw and fine bladed saw. (only have some massive saws and a 20 year old hacksaw here)
    * new plane.

Though I have no workshop, my garage is packed to the brim with tools still, drill press, router, circular saw, mitre saw, multiple types of sanders but unfortunately no bench sander or planing tool There is a million and one tools hidden in there somewhere, but for now I will not be touching them.

I thought to get back into woodworking and do it right I would start simple... WITH BOXES ! so in the coming weeks, look for some of my botchy efforts as I learn how to do dovetails and other joints by hand.

Hopefully one day I can be good enough to make my own humidor

Cheers,
    Chris.

Hi Chris nice to have another local on the forum.

Like your keen way of restarting in woodwork, hand tool by up but with major power tools for back up.

Welcome mate- boxes are a great way to start! I'm looking forward to see your pics

Andy

Well, I do admit im a bit of a cheat! I've started a practice box out of some cheap DAR pine to see how much practice I will need on jointing, but of course, instead of using alot of effort in this heat, it was 40 seconds worth of drop saw action to get them all trimmed to length

Thanks for the quick hellos too

Welcome to the forum. You have mention that your garage is packed to the brim. When I first wanted to do some wood working I started by cleaning out the garage. This was not quite a clean slate but close. Then it started to get messy and another clean up / out. I think it goes in cycles. So I am again due for one.

I do have a plan to try and keep it clean but so far the last two plans have failed. So I come up with plan three. Just trying to get the time to put into action.

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You have mention that your garage is packed to the brim. When I first wanted to do some wood working I started by cleaning out the garage. This was not quite a clean slate but close. Then it started to get messy and another clean up / out. I think it goes in cycles. So I am again due for one.

I do have a plan to try and keep it clean but so far the last two plans have failed. So I come up with plan three. Just trying to get the time to put into action.
    Thankfully I am moving house soon, so its already a plan . Also a plan is getting rid of so much useless stuff thats in there (single car garage... no room for car, almost hard to walk in there :|)

I do have a path to get from one end to the other, and I have said it before I am doing figure S's to get from one end to the other.

Thumbs up

G'day Chris and welcome to the cubby!!

Looks like your good intentions are backed up by some good gear.