Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default range hood exhaust...x-post

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and have been lurking here for a while. We have bought the pacific rangehood which says it has to be installed 650-700mm above the cooktop but the cabinet make has allowed for only 600mm. Will that be a problem. Also the ranghood does not have any filters abd comes with an autoclean function. http://www.pacificrangehoods.com.au/de_as900.html

My concern now is after reading hrough the posts here... does it mean that the grease will build up in the flue and eventually cause a fire hazard.

Thanks in avance for your advices

p.s: just thought i will put it in a new thread.
    <!-- / message -->

Normally it is prudent to follow the manufacturers recommendations regarding minimum clearances for appliances such as range hoods.

As you might have read elsewhere, the Australian Minimum Standard for a range hood above and electric cooktop is 600mm from the burner to the bottom of the hood.

However, if a manufacturer's instructions suggest clearances greater than this I would take the advice.

The design you specify claims to be self cleaning through the use of degreaser dispesers inside the hood.
    This would suggest that there will not be any significant build up of grease or other flammables in the hood or flue and you shouldn't really be worried about a fire.

Personally I would be more concerned about where the degreaser goes.

Cheers,
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens

Earl,
    Thanks so much for your advice... regarding the degreaser there is a collection cup under the rangehood to collect it. I had a chat with the cabinet maker and he says nothing can be done about it. What is it with people saying onething and doing something else. I might end up a nervous wreck by the time our Kitchen and bathroom is done....

Quote Originally Posted by Sugam View Post
    I had a chat with the cabinet maker and he says nothing can be done about it.
    This really depends on the nature of your kitchen design and at what stage the cabinet maker is in his fabrication.

If you are going for painted or coated doors and the installation is next week then yes, there is really not a lot that the cabinet maker can do about it at this stage as everything will already have been cut and coated.

Is the bottom of your range hood going to be in line with the cupboards next to it? (If the cabinet maker has fabricated the range cupboard without confirming the dimensions of the hood to go underneath it then the ball is in his court, likewise with installation clearances - if it was understood that you were going to tell him what sort of hood you were fitting.)

But! If the job isn't going in till next year then there is a good chance that you may be able to respecify the cutting list for the cupboard above the rangehood.

Having said that, there are always options.
    In a worst case scenario if you really want to fit that rangehood higher than the cabinetmaker has allowed for then you can insisit that he simply leaves that cabinet out of the installation and makes a new one for you next year.

Of course this will cost you extra and he won't be in a hurry to come around and install it for you, but there is rarely a genuine case of "there is nothing we can do about it".

I would be interested to hear how you get on with him.

Cheers,
    Kitchen Design Consultant

Custom and Flatpack Kitchens