Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Period Restoration

I have a moved into my new place and am looking to restore/renovate my home to the particular period it was built in - 1920s.

I wish to carry out renovations that will help in increasing the value of the house and not hinder it as it, as has been stated that if you simply mix and match you may actually devalue your property.

Is there any resources available to give me an idea of what materials i should be using, or particular styles for a given period?

Archicentre has some guides on different syles, although they are pretty brief. I like to spend a lot of time walking around our neighbouring suburbs looking at the old houses and also looking at the renovations that have been done.

Generally it stands out if styles have been mixed up. Don't try putting iron lacework on a house that was built with timber frettwork, don't put a big square two story modern box on the back of a period home (try to integrate it with the original style).

There are plenty of books and web sites to research the style and plenty of people willing to take your money to get that 'authentic' look. If you are trying to increase value without spending too much then just look at what looks right on other properties in the area.

Hope it helps?

http://www.archicentre.com.au/html/downloads.html

Suggested reading

The Federation House
    Ian Evans
    ISBN 1 875253 11 4

Colour Schemes ofr Old Australian Houses
    Ian Evans.
    ISBN 0 9594923 3 X

Getting The Details Right
    Ian Evans
    ISBN 1 875253 03 3

WWW.oldhouses.com.au

thanks for the links.

as my house is a weatherboard house of the 1920's does that classify it as a federation house or firbo cottage?

hi Legacy GT - welcome to the forum. I have a fair bit of experience, both firsthand as an owner of a 20's home and advising on the restoration of a couple..... please post some pics of your place as this period was a transitional one therefore your home may have strong federation/Edwardian or Californian Bungalow influence (or neither!)..... It will be important to decide how far you wish to go when undertaking the renovations, because the options are practically limitless. As far as paper resources are concerned, the books mentioned are good - if you wish to achieve an authentic CalaBunga outcome, I strongly recommend you subscribe to American Bungalow magazine - it is spectacular, with fantastic information and images throughout. You can also buy back issues from the publishers, but I have found eBay a goldmine for getting back issues affordably, even factoring in the postage costs. PM me if you'd like to have a more in depth conversation about your project. I will track down a few pics of Calabunga interiors and post them for you now. BTW I have an 03 Legacy GTB

have fun!
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Default pics of Calabunga stuff

as mentioned

also: http://www.ambungalow.com/AmBungalow/home.htm

I will get some extreior shots together and post them shortly.....
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

it will take a while to get the magazines, scan them and resize/post the pics - better to wait until I hear back as to whether you want to go with Calabunga style or not. In the meantime, here is another link to the style

http://architecture.about.com/library/bl-bungalow.htm

have fun
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

here is a pic of the outside... http://i14.tinypic.com/4icb8up.jpg

the house is a bit of mix and match atm. i just bought it.

and there are pics of the inside here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89303063@N00/

those pics of the cowabunga are crazy. mine looks plane jane comparo.

i have a legacy GT of the 95 variety and did a 2.5L STi conversion - seriously needs a tune.

interesting - classic 'cusp' period home, with a federation front door and surround that, once leadlighted would look incredible..... if you could take a few pics of the entire exterior as a whole, it would help get a better idea of what's what. I note the presence of an aluminium column and either plastic or aluminium weatherboards - you may find the original boards are in excellent condition underneath.

Re the US Calabunga's - most Aussie derivatives look plain Jane compared to those. In the US, many CalaBunga's were built by true craftsmen of their time, where many of ours were mere 'hints' of bungalows. My own was dead plain, but by the time I had finished with it, she sported two mezzanines, Clinker fireplace, Rimu lined walls (at 70 degrees), French Provincial kitchen, period bathroom, slate floors in the main living areas blah blah blah blah - and before anyone starts thinking I am a zillionaire, all done over time and on the strictest budget.... from memory the whole reno ended up costing me $30K over 10 years, including the cost of trades. I know such cannot be done these days but you can still save a fortune on stuff. We are completely refurbishing our kitchen, including extending in two areas and totally changing (more than doubling) the size, layout, and all appliances. So far my spreadsheet totals $22K worth of appliance and associated purchases.... I have paid $6500 so far. It takes stealth but it can be done - in our case it HAS to be done.

BTW ours is an 1880 Victorian weatherboard, but if I had my time again I would do another Calabunga and really go nuts. As a compromise, we are introducing arts & crafts (that's what the CalaBunga period is called) style elements like leadlights and so forth...... we ca nget away with this as it is in the newer extended areas and for mine, it's a valid expression of a house changing over time when added on to.

anyway, enough sermon for one day

HAVE FUN! - and do get the chariot tuned..... the alternatives are not pretty at all! Just spent $5K after a radiator hose fell off.....meant to get her serviced the week before we went away, but was too busy wasn't I??? oboy
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Default couple more

a few more pics of the old project. In hinsight I wouldve done a number of things very differently, but with no training and limited budget was happy with the overall outcome - the new owners fell in love with it as soon as they saw it, which was good. Cheers
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

nice work mr zillionaire!!! i likey. looks like alot of sweat!

here is the house from across the road...

one of the front yard...

the lounge before...

** note that these pics from real estate posted on the net before i started on it.

i hope to have the house at a level i am happy with within 3 years.

yeah aluminium columns - isnt that wrong for this period of house i was thinking of getting someone to put in timber pillars then i will add some mouldings? to it.

weatherboards are as plastic as a hookers outfit. also wrong for its period? underneath is i think asbestos or some sort of fibre board. doubt there is the old wooden clad under both of those, but there is some remaining in the sleepout part (two walls worth)

Looks like a classic 'Workers Cottage'. They were sound hardwood structures but never flash. Very likely asbestos under the vinyl cladding, which is why people use it, a quick tart up.
    Check out other cottages around the area to see what others have done before you start, simplicity can be stylish and not cost a lot, the outside will be you major cost.
    Looks a cutie, though pink don't quite do it for me.
    Good luck

first thing i did was get rid of the textured peachy pink paint!!!

can be seen here i think... http://www.flickr.com/photos/89303063@N00/

workers cottage hey!? hmmm. any more info on them?

i seen plenty other one still with their wood cladding and painted up smick.

got the aircon installed! and had to use it today. when they did the install i found out the roof and walls are insulated woo hoo. thats just the lounge tho.

see the leadlight doors in the pink picture? recon i should restore them or get rid of me for new doors? yes they are 720mm in width so i can replace them easily!