Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default matching kauri pine floorboards

Hi
    This is my first post although I read the forums quite a lot - I have learnt so so much. Usually there is an answer to my problem already but I hope someone can help with this wee one.

I have ripped up carpets on a 1920 bungalow in <st1ity w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Adelaide</st1lace></st1ity> and found floorboards in pretty good nick - they are raw but japanned around the edges.
    <o> </o>
    I thought they were Baltic They need some repair in small areas though however I have been told by a couple of people that they are not Baltic as I thought but Kauri. (Which explains the lack of red in them – they are quite unlike the Baltic floors in the newer part of the house. No red and quite pale. However when I rang to find replacement boards for the repairs - “Good luck with that luv – see them every 5 years” is about the most positive response I have from salvage yards.
    <o> </o>
    They are 150m * 22. I can get them milled at huge expense and so maybe my only option is to match them with another wood. Does anyone have any ideas what wood I might use which would not look too bad or what options might be available?

Hope soemone can help
    Thanks
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by samhorr
    <O</O
    I thought they were Baltic They need some repair in small areas though however I have been told by a couple of people that they are not Baltic as I thought but Kauri. (Which explains the lack of red in them – they are quite unlike the Baltic floors in the newer part of the house. No red and quite pale. <O</O
    They are 150m * 22. I can get them milled at huge expense and so maybe my only option is to match them with another wood. Does anyone have any ideas what wood I might use which would not look too bad or what options might be available?

Hope soemone can help
    Thanks
    Sam
    hi sam,
    most of the baltic over here is white baltic, no red in it but still heaps of knots. if theres no knots then its kauri. how many linial metres do you need?
    everything is something, for a reason:confused:

Default photos now to help hopefully

Aha - many thanks
    I have had another look - seem to be knots
    I have taken some photos
    does this help?
    I know it is not red baltic as I someone made a repair with red baltic and it sticks out like a sore thumb but I never thought of white baltic.
    ta
    sam

Definately Baltic Pine - you should be able to source that no probs.
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!

Default white?

So white baltic? That would be great - I can source that easily.
    Sam

Default baltic

There is a company in sydney called Ironwood Timbers. If you contact them they can help you in your requirements. The timber you have is Baltic and is available at most recycle timber yards. I have purchased baltic from them for years. There is heaps of it. Ironwood is on the web and will deliver to your city. www.ironwood.com.au
    But you should be able to sourse it locally. Most recyclers will keep it to supply the timber floor renovation market.