Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Remote Gate Opener

Just throwing around options for the front of the house, and was thinking about putting in a motorised gate. This would be a great option, as it would nearly double the available space in the front yard, whilst still keeping the kiddies safe.

Anybody had any experiences with these?

Easy enough to install yourself, or let the professional do it?

Are the solar powered ones reliable?

Cheers

Jayson.

in my first house I put in a remote sliding gate, it worked a treat. welded up my own gate out of rhs and clad it with corro and had a flashing made up to cover the ends and top. it sat on wheels and then sat on a track made from angle iron with the point up. Easy to install got all the parts from a local place in campbellfield, vic that sells all this stuff. Was easy to do and gave me more room in the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_574 View Post
    in my first house I put in a remote sliding gate, it worked a treat. welded up my own gate out of rhs and clad it with corro and had a flashing made up to cover the ends and top. it sat on wheels and then sat on a track made from angle iron with the point up. Easy to install got all the parts from a local place in campbellfield, vic that sells all this stuff. Was easy to do and gave me more room in the back yard.

So you bought the motor, etc as a kit, then made your own gate?

How much did the motor, etc set you back, if you can recall?

I installed my own gate opener bought the unit from steeline works great have had no probs, about the $800 mark for the unit and rack, the gate runs on gate rollers on a half round track, track can be bolted down or comes in version to set in concrete

Not sure of your situation, but you could try one of these http://www.oceaniasautogate.com.au/content/view/27/38/
    No power required, but not for your suburban block!

I have an ATA gate opener. Very simple, very reliable for me thus far. Easy enough to install - I got it paid to be installed, but ended up moving it all anyway as part of garden renovations.

Mine is a battery backup unit (just plugs into a wall mount GPO, or in my case, a wall mounted isolator). Handy for when the power goes off - the 12V battery gives a few gate openings before it goes flat.

I have done no maintenance on it in the past 3 or so years I've had it, and it gets opened at a minimum 4 times a day (my car and my wifes car come and go at different times).

I had a remote gate opener installed...best thing I ever did. Keeps the lad safe from running out on to the road and it is a great space saver - since we don't have much frontage our gate is a slider. It also forces people to use our front gate - for years people would enter our gateless driveway and walk all over our plants.

The fencer installed the gate and the unit but I had to get a sparky to come and connect the power. We don't have battery backup but it is not needed because you can just manually open the gate. The gate rides on a metal track that is just bolted onto the concrete.

Haven't had it all that long and it doesn't get much of a workout (it is opened maybe 3 or 4 times a week).