Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Table saws and weight loss

In the shed his evening, slicing up some pen blanks on the table saw from apiece of claret ash that i had been given. The piece was about 20mm thick, 200 wide and about 300 long.The fence was set about 20mm from the blade, the intention being to get a series of 20x20x200 blanks. The blade was set about 30mm above the table and I had a really good push stick to do the job.

Pushed the first one through, not quite far enough. setting up fo the second, blade still spinning, the first one vibrated back against the blade, jammed between the blade and the fence, launched it back towards me and hit me in the belly.Not a difficult target. Didn't see it coming. Holed a fairly heavy T-shirt I have a perfect 90' cut (yes I measured it) from the corner of the blank and a bloody, painful bruise about 3 times the size of the piece.

It still hurts. a lot

FOR THE FUTURE

put the riving knife and guard back on every time that I remove the crosscut sled

NEVER EVER think about the next piece until the first is properly finished and off the table.

and no! there are no photos

I have , however, been alerted to just how big my belly is getting - I thank my dear, caring and supportive wife for this, "well it could hardly miss" & "that was a good T-shirt"

I almost lost my finger the other week on my jointer. I didn't put the safety guard back on correctly after adjusting the outfeed table. As a result the cutters were exposed after pushing some timber through and I went to pick it up and my middle and ring finger hit the blade. It looked worse than it was but it definetly opened my eyes in regards to shop safety.

Rule 1 of ripping: ALWAYS have the blade as high as possible.
    This makes sure that the cutting force is directed down on the table instead of back at the operator.
    It also makes pushing the timber through easier.

Default Table saws and weight loss

Blade set at maximum height or say 6mm above the timber being cut could be argued, for or against, until the cows come home. I argue for the latter option and still have all my digits.

At the risk of starting something... that's what push sticks are for.
    My boss has been doing it for 60 years and still has all his digits too

Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    Rule 1 of ripping: ALWAYS have the blade as high as possible.
    This makes sure that the cutting force is directed down on the table instead of back at the operator.
    It also makes pushing the timber through easier.
    I can see your point.

However this piece was already past the blade. The problem was not kickback whilst cutting. The problem was that I left the relatively small piece of cut timber sitting on the table just behind the blade, it should have been pushed well out of the way - probably right off the table. I don't think it mattered at all , at this stage, what the height of the blade was. The fact is I diverted my attention elsewhere and that piece of timber found its way back between the blade and the fence and was launched back to me.

I guess my point(s) is (are) , never let anything distract you while the blade is spinning, never leave any item loose on the table, and no matter how annoying, always keep the safety guards securely in place.

If I had done any one of these things I would not have been injured

Quote Originally Posted by Avery View Post
    I guess my point(s) is (are) , never let anything distract you while the blade is spinning, never leave any item loose on the table, and no matter how annoying, always keep the safety guards securely in place.

If I had done any one of these things I would not have been injured
    Absolutely

When using the table saw or a bench grinder or similar tools if possible try and not be in a position that if something does get thrown or disc shatters you are not in the firing line.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyjack View Post
    When using the table saw or a bench grinder or similar tools if possible try and not be in a position that if something does get thrown or disc shatters you are not in the firing line.

Great idea but - there is always a but...

I am right handed. The fence was on the right side of the blade. The piece was kind of small - not really small, but 20 x 20 x 200 mm means you have to get reasonably close to the machine. I was using a large and well made push stick , I mean the type with a big hand grip that is well above the blade.

I really do not see how I could push this bit of timber through the saw in any safe and reasonable way whilst keeping my wonderfully well insulted frame off somewhere to the side.

I do not see how anyone can possibly use a grinder, table saw, scms saw, lathe or any other piece of rotating machinery without , at some stage, having their body right in line with proceedings.

How do you grind a chisel without getting right over the top to see what is going on?
    How do you turn a spindle without being right in front of the work?
    How do you rip a plank on a table saw when you are not in front of the blade?

I'm afraid
    "When using the table saw or a bench grinder or similar tools if possible try and not be in a position that if something does get thrown or disc shatters you are not in the firing line"
    is really a bit of a useless idea. Yeah , if a grinding wheel shatters it would be good if you were in another room, but you always need to get close to these machines to make them work well and work safely.

I f***ed up. I lost concentration and and I was rushing things. It had nothing to do with where I was standing.

It is all too easy to become complacent and this is part of the problem with having done this sort of thing on many occasions. If you remember the first time you used a power tool how careful you were. Maybe we should pretend each project is our first and be that extra careful as we were the day we cut our first piece of timber.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by Avery View Post
    How do you rip a plank on a table saw when you are not in front of the blade?
    Panel saw, but not everyone has $20k in disposable income...

Quote Originally Posted by munruben View Post
    It is all too easy to become complacent and this is part of the problem with having done this sort of thing on many occasions. If you remember the first time you used a power tool how careful you were. Maybe we should pretend each project is our first and be that extra careful as we were the day we cut our first piece of timber.
    This is the way I approach all jobs.

As stated before everything in my workshop terrifies me and I treat everything with caution.

Self preservation is high on my list and self inflicted pain very low.

Easy thing would be not to share due to embarrassment. I appreciate the humility of the contributors who are humble enough to tell of their mishaps for no other reason than saving my ars* from a similar fate.

Boringgeoff is offline Try not to be late, but never be early.

My fathers sage advice was to never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your dick.
    Works for me. I've still got all my digits.

Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by keltrader View Post
    Easy thing would be not to share due to embarrassment. I appreciate the humility of the contributors who are humble enough to tell of their mishaps for no other reason than saving my ars* from a similar fate.
    Absolutely.
    And now on a lighter note...

My fathers sage advice was to never put your fingers where you wouldn't put your dick.
    Works for me. I've still got all my digits.

What is it with paternal advice and peni5 analogies? When stopping up walls, my old man would tell me that plaster is like your third leg, the more you play with it, the harder it gets (so don't stir it too much).