Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default spindle moulder - convert to sander?

Hey all,
    I have a question re my Hafco spindle moulder (Hafco SP-250 2250W/3HP model).
    The spindle moulder can be geared to run at 3000, 6250 and 9000 rpm.

I'm wondering if I can get a sanding head attachment for it (I've looked around and can't find one).
    I'm thinking of a oscillating sander type head (probably not oscillating though) or a set up to run a belt.

Perhaps it runs a bit too fast for a sander?

I think that the sherwood small oscillating spindle sander runs at about 1500rpm, the carbatec brand runs at @1800rpm.

As far as I can tell, HAFCO do not have a sander head for the spindle moulder... might be a good reason for that?

As always,

Thanks in advance,
    the slightly dodgy and ever looking for an alternative to buying expensive machines....
    Clinton
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Question Spindle moulder to sander....

I don't think so!

It is possible. On page 39 of June 2008 Fine Woodworking there is a picture of a spindle sander and its referred to in the text. Looks like its set up in a combination machine and by the look of it a Minimax. I'm looking for one myself now.

I think it would be a backward step.... no offence intended at all. How would you make it oscillate? I believe oscillation is a key feature of spindle sanders that helps on the life of the abrasive and quality of finish. FWIW mine wouldn't rotate at anything like the speed of a moulder. If you're committed to trying it, mine is only made of a shaft with the appropriate stops and a piece of round rubber with a hole through it.... screwing the top nut and washer on is what keeps it in place as well as expanding the material slightly to hold the sandpaper tube. Making it all fit into a moulder collet would be straightforward..... just don't think it would work due to the high speed - fun to watch you try though!

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

It would be nice if there was an accessory from Hafco... they don't have one.

The Carbatec brand bench 8" bench grinder spins at @2850 rpm, only 150 rpm less than the slowest speed in the spindle moulder, and the grinder has a sanding drum as an 'optional extra'.

Oscillating saves wear in the sanding drum, and stops sanding 'gouges'... but a sanding 'drum' would be better than nothing.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

I've seen sanding drums on spindle moulders but they don't osccilate.

Better to use sleeves on rubber bushes that expand when the length is compressed.

I think you'd be better off with a separate machine.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

If it is a belt drive in the moulder (I have no idea) you could change the pulleys I guess .... I'd rather buy your spindle moulder so you could put the bucks toward your sander
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

thanks all... I'll keep looking for a set up.

Steve - Nah, won't be selling it... unless you want to pay enough to allow me to replace the spindle moulder and buy a OSS?

again, thanks all.
    Cheers,
    Clinton