Hi,

Firstly, I will start off by saying that I will be having a electrician come round next week sometime to sort out the problem(s).

In that we have two ceiling lights in our back bedroom - of which only one worked. I was going to replace them with 2 identical lamps (around the middle of the year but because of work commitments I couldn't find the time to do them until now). However, I thought that the plasterboard in the immediate area wouldn't be capable of holding the fittings so I made up a support block (for each lamp) that I screwed and glued to the ceiling. However, when I came to wiring them up (as they were previously) neither of the worked:(. I checked for continuity between the switch and the first globe fitting, then the first to the second globe - all seemed OK. I then checked both fittings that each gave a reading of around the 230/240v mark. Both the globes worked OK. I changed the switch with one that I knew worked but didn't solve the problem.

So is there anything obvious that I have have overlooked? I have attached a poor image of the wires coming out of the back of the switch and you can see that the neutral wires (black) are "looped" together whilst the live ones are not - should they be and if so should they be placed in the hole marked loop? I would appreciate any reply that may solve this mystery to me:wink:

Cheers
MH

Attached Thumbnails

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...