Default To paint or oil?

Hi folks
    Have just installed a treated pine picket fence. I am keen to paint the fence, should I be using a fence paint or decking oil? Also should I wait for the fence to dry out properly, it still seems a bit green.

Thanks Loosescrew

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Hi Loosescrew,
    I think the green look is because of the treatment - it won't change in a hurry. You're supposed to wait for the wood to dry out before you paint it, but I never do as I always paint a couple of coats before installing then another to tidy up afterwards (plus it'd probably warp and cup and bow and twist before you get to fix it in place).
    Re the paint or stain - your preference - personally I don't like the green/grey look so I'd go with paint - better sealer too, but you need to cover all surfaces.
    Cheers,
    Adam

Also another point is how much area to cover V/S the cost of paint or oil that will be required. Oil can be very costly as the timber DRINKS it happily where as paint will sit on top, it will absorb quite a bit but couple of coats may do the job, Don't ask Bunnings for advice on paint they are bad, sold me paint that would be more than enough I ended buying three times the quantity as they could not work out how much the timber would absorb. The bloke had no idea what he was telling me, told me he will take it up with the paint company never heard back. So give your self a lot of margin, buy ready paint that you will be able to return, do not get it tinted as they will not take it back. Try big paint shop they are generally cheaper. Also general safe rule if timber is bare or dry give it a rough coat and it will give you an idea of how much you will require later and also act as a base or sealer. Hope that helps.
    YOU MISSED 100% OF THE SHOT YOU NEVER TOOK.