Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hello, Tassie timber for anyone?

Hi all,

I'm just starting a small business sourcing and milling low grade Tasmanian logs and burls and want to get an idea of what sort of market there is for what I have.

I am able to source most of the common Tasmanian minor species including celery top pine, myrtle, sassafras and blackwood as well as some Tasmanian eucalyptus and other species as they come up. I will be milling, air or kiln drying and machining on demand. And this will include high grade finished products.

My business aim is to see as many low grade Tasmanian logs make there way to crafts people and worthy uses as possible. But I think I will need some help!

So, can any one answer the following:
    how do I find people that want Tasmanian timber?
    what do they want, how much do they want and at what price?
    why would you not use any of the above mentioned timbers, or
    what do you love about them?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

BJ Cavanagh

Default Tassie timber

Hi BJ
    Yes i'm interested in Tassie timbers slabs burls green or dry at the right price of course being in northern NSW I need to take freight into consideration with any purchase, I sugest some pics and prices .
    Cheers Tony

PS Where in Tassie ar you.
    Tony

Hi, welcome,

I am also interested in Tassie Timbers, primarily rough cut boards.

Im in QLD so freight has to be considered.

Cameron

BJ, answers below.

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Cavanagh View Post
    So, can any one answer the following:
    how do I find people that want Tasmanian timber? Advertise here! If you are going to be on going, contact the owner of this Forum first.
    what do they want, how much do they want and at what price? Well, all the "minor" species from Tassie get lauded over. If you have Leatherwood, Myrtle, CTP, Sassy, you can find ready buyers for. Freight is a problem, but if you can get you hands on the 20Kg "Post to Home" boxes from Aust.Post for Turning Blanks or Box components. They cost $30 to ship 20Kg to anywhere in Aust. Otherwise check out "back freight" options and the Tassie Gov website. Lengths under 1200mm are easier to move via Aust Post.
    why would you not use any of the above mentioned timbers, or
    what do you love about them? I got some Myrtle from Island Specialty Timbers with Purple colouring through the board. The sheer variety of the stuff and that it is from Tassie has most people I know interested.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

If the old brain box is still working, Auspost only handle a metre max.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    If the old brain box is still working, Auspost only handle a metre max.
    I have bought timber from Tassie before, and the freight was not with Aust post..and the cost was reasonable.

Who did you use Cam?
    Cheers, Ern

Default re tas timber

G'day BJ.
    Am interested in your goods. As stated above "freight to the mainland" is the main problem. . What part of Tassi are you in. Would like to speak to you.
    Will be in tassi over xmas [coming home for a few days]

regards

Wayne Geeves
    Grantham QLD {near toowoomba] ph 07 54 661209

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Who did you use Cam?
    I didnt organise the freight...the delivery was made by unmarked white vans...prices were reasonable, speed was excellent...so if i knew who they were they woudl be worth considering....sorry i cant be much help.

Default Thanks for the responce

Great to know a few people are interested.

To answer questions, I'm planning on building the business and making a living from it for years to come. I'll look at putting some adds up and get a web site together! I'm based in Hobart, and if any one would like to come and have a look at what I'm up to the're welcome.

I'll work on costing my wood and the freight and get a few pictures together over the next couple of weeks. I'll make a posting or put an add up on the forum once I have. Cam and Tony and anyone else, if you let me know what you want I can aim to get some prices and pictures together sooner for you.

At a glance it looks like one way to reduce freight costs would be bulk orders to capital cities. If anyone is interested in taking 1m3 or so at a time and distributing or can think of a workable scheme, let me know!

I'm planning on keeping a stock of slabs, turning blanks and planks (8x2, 8x1) and milling to order. Would anyone recommend other standard dimensions?

Cheers,

Bodie Cavanagh
    Last edited by ubeaut; 3rd November 2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Deleted email address

Bodie
    I also live in Tassie and am always interested in local timbers at reasonable prices. The biggest problem I find is most people in the timber industry charge locals at the same rate they fleece the tourists making it very hard to get a descent price and as a hobbyist not into making money from what I do price is imperative. Good Luck with your endeavors.

Cheers Terry

Good luck with it mate. I agree with Terry. The prices most suppliers charge are way over the top in many cases. Gunn$ are one of the worst offenders. It's as if they punish us for having to mill the minor species rather than their (covert) preferred option of chipping it (I dobbed in one multinational outfit once in the early 90's for sending high grade sawlogs to the chippers. It was blatant. They then started draping huge signs over the log train loads proudly saying the logs were going to sawmills). Anyway I digress. If you can supply 1st or 2nd grade King Billy, Huon Pine and Tas Oak at competitive prices in sizes 150mm x 25mm (Nominal) rough sawn in lengths of 2.4m (or 4.8m) I'm in the market for a regular supply.
    Cheers
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Default Tassie Timber

Hi Bodie

I'll look you up next time I'm in Tassie looks like next spring be fore we get down there again. Bought some timber in Margate a couple of years back about half a pallet cost $65.00 to Sydney and another $65 to Port Macquarie it took about ten days. My interest is blanks preferably seasoned 400mmplus wide by 40-50 mm thick for platters also interested in burls. See you in 2010.

Cheers Tony
    Tony

Default Tasmanian Timbers

G'Day Bodie,
    If you are going to advertise Timbers for sale in the forum, do what I do, as well as others in this forum, become a paid sponser.
    I got in trouble for this, advertising with out being a sponser.
    As for there not being any cheap timber anymore, don't blame tourists there paying what its worth.
    Regards Bob

Hi Bodie,

Welcome to the forum.
    I'd be pretty keen for some Tas timber frieghted to Melb.
    Depends on price $$$$$.
    Keeps us all in the loop.

GC