Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Beachport, South Oz, the best little town on the planet.

Default Elecrtical wizardry need

Okey Dokey, the South australian Woodenboat Festival is on again in March. On the Saturday evenng of the "Do" a fairy light parade is held. I thunk that all I hadf to do was get some of them cheap xmas lights, chop off the transformer thinngy and attach now naked wires to a car battery hidden away in the depths of the mighty vessel "R&R" but apparently doing so will lead to a somewhat dismal display. Tell me what' how and keep it simple cos I'm an electrical numbnut........

Behold!
    The mighty vessel "R&R"........
    Last edited by Christopha; 20th February 2006 at 01:28 PM.

I don't think you even need to chop off the transformer; most come with plugs at that end now too. You should be able to get a matching one from Dick Smith's or the like.

Good thing about 12v is that about the only way it'll kill you is if you let the battery drop on you from a great height!

Put a little flashing red one in there somewhere so you think of me!!

Another option could be to buy a small 240v generator (less than $100 these days) and keep it stowed below, power all the stuff from it using normal 240 fittings, kept below (make sure all the lights and above deck fittings are 12v though!). Scares me, but many do it.

Had to cancel the trip this year because the Missus said we weren't going anywhere the week before a wedding at our place. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Oh well there's always 2007!

Have a great time!

P
    Last edited by bitingmidge; 17th January 2005 at 05:55 PM.

Christopher,

Car batteries are really designed to provide high current for short amounts of time, to get your car started. This is why leaving your inside light on in your car for just a few hours can flatten your battery. The normal powering of your car electronics is provided through your alternator rather than your battery.

What you need is a gel cell/SLA battery (sealed lead acid) or even a marine battery, which is a bit of a compromise.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Quote Originally Posted by simon c
    What you need is a gel cell/SLA battery (sealed lead acid) or even a marine battery, which is a bit of a compromise.
    Simon,

I agree, (but I'm an electrical dunce), but I reckon an hour or two would be enough charge, couldn't one get more life by running multiple batteries in (oh darn...series or parallel - I know it's one of them!)... If it isn't possible to borrow sufficient battery power, the generator looks like the most cost effective solution I think.

Cheers,

P

Whoa back..... not stickin' a petrol genny in her, there isn't all that much room for starters. Car batteries are what I have, buying special batteries for a "oncer" isn't an option either, no budget! They will have to run for only an hour or so at the max. If I flatten the battery it doesn't matter as I can charge it up again when I get home as it is a spare. Kepp 'em coming fellas......

Simon
    Deep cycle battery is what i think you are trying to say Christopha needs
    due to the long life with a slow discharge
    Lucas
    If at first you don't succeed
    Destroy all the evidence that shows you tired

How many batteries Chris?

Paralleling (+to+, -to-)them will increase the amount of amps available whilst keeping it at 12V.

Be warned that if you flattem them too far they will be stuffed.

Hook up a voltmeter and when it reaches 10.5Volts with load on, turn the load off and recharge as soon as possible.

probably a maximum of two mate..... it is the lights themselves which have me a bit stuffed as the little chrissy ones I have found actually come out at 24volt without the transformer..... all I want are a bunch of little twinkly lights which I can drape over my little boat thing for an hours fun on the water once every two years.

Christopha, if you have two 12V car batteries, just connect them together in series ( + ~ - / - ~ + ) and you now have your 24V!

Please correct me if I'm wrong here people, Don't want stoppers having a premature meltdown or nuthin' :eek:
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Tankstand
    Christopha, if you have two 12V car batteries, just connect them together in series ( + ~ - / - ~ + ) and you now have your 24V!

Please correct me if I'm wrong here people, Don't want stoppers having a premature meltdown or nuthin' :eek:
    Yes you are right. Connect in series.

The meltdown part would be entertaining to the crowd.

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

For really pretty display, drop a match in the bilge - with all that red wine slopping around, it should glow really well

Richard
    does this mean I've got to put lights on Redback? :eek:

I have my answer!!!!! I shall tow Redback as she burns

Quote Originally Posted by Christopha
    I have my answer!!!!! I shall tow Redback as she burns
    Does that mean I should leave the last top coat until the day before so that it's still gassing off? :eek:

I'd need LOOOOOTTTTTTTSSSSSS of red wine to toss that match

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Tankstand

Series connection would be: +~- +~-, that is connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other, then connect your lights to the two free terminals (one +, one -) this will give you 24V.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

How about extending the chain drive on the prop to run around a generator as well - you can pedal that hard can't you?

Richard