Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sanding sealer help

As I have mentioned before, my current project is building an Antique Reprductiion 1912 Model T Towncar. My problem is the sanding of parts and the finish it will have. My customer wants to do the finishing and use an epoxy primer, etc. My delima is that everytime I sand smooth and silky, in a few days it gets fuzzy again (locak weather changes hourly) It needs a sanding sealer but I want to make sure it will compatable with the primer he will apply. Got any suggestions?

Buy some DEWAXED White Shellac (possibly called bleached shellac in US) mix it with 10 parts alcohol and it will do the job wonderfully.

Rag it on. allow it to dry thoroughly then very lightly go over it with your finest abrasive to knock off all the little nibs it raises.

Completely compatible with everything.

WARNING: make sure it is Dewaxed white shellac and not waxy white.

Cheers - Neil

I was thinking shellac... but not sure, will look for Dewaxed White Shellac. I was in a WWing store (Rockler's) just today. Should have gotten some then...

I apply alot with a rag and this will work out fine for my pleasures.

Thanks

What sort of timber is it you are going to paint?

There is no need for shellac, Shellac is not suitable for timber on a motor vehicle as it will be affected by the heat from the sunlight. If it fails you will have to strip all the paint off back to the bare timber.

I have painted several wooden bodied Model T's (including a 1911 Town car) with all wood body as well as other old cars with such bodies (used to restore old cars for a living) The Town Car I presume will be painted dark green, dark blue or red with black trimming on the body. All these colors draw a lot of heat from the sun when outdoors.

Your customer sounds like he is going to use a 2 pack auto finish. The epoxy is unnecessary on timber just use the normal primer surfacer used under colours.

Mix the 2 part primer and then thin it down with twice the amount of thinner recommended to spray, brush on the first coat so you can rub it into the grain of the timber. Let it set then if the grain has raided lightly sand it with about 240 dry paper. Then apply the following coats of primer to give you a build up so you can sand it smooth.

Depending on the grain of the timber you may need 3 -4 coats. If your guy knows how to paint he should be able to do this in one go. if he is not confident put on 2 let them dry, if you think there are a few marks that are bad rub then smooth before you add more coats.

The primer will give you a smooth hard finish that will seal the timber as if you have coated the surface with fibreglass resin. Most of the primer/surfacers used in the auto industry are also primer/fillers. If you leave out the thinner (just paint and hardener) they can be applied to produce a high built surface.

Either way only put on enough to allow you to produce a smooth surface for the color, excess build only add weight and cost to the job.

If you want to see a timber body with 2 pack paint I will have my Model T at the Indiana celebrations ( its on the high seas at the momoent heading for Long Beach.)