Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: wagon wheels

Default wagon wheels

Need a bit of help, just before Xmas I saw a post from one of you guys that had some instructions on making wooden wheels? ,and now I can't find it, I think the post had a link to a woodworking thread one, can some one point me in the right direction please?, not the car or truck ones the wagon type ones, thanks,
    Richard.

Try the model making section search for Aussie

That's the one, thanks,
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    Try the model making section search for Aussie
    Well he does them wrong, why not find out how to do them correctly.
    All relevant info is freely available at this site.

Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicles

Mark

Hey, they look alright to me, btw, check the link you've inserted, I think you've done it wrong
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano48 View Post
    Hey, they look alright to me, btw, check the link you've inserted, I think you've done it wrong
    Cheers.
    Ah well, can't help those that don't want to be helped, eh.

mark

Quote Originally Posted by mardtrp View Post
    All relevant info is freely available at this site.

Scale Model Horse Drawn Vehicles

Mark
    Just caught up with this. Why dont you show the wagon wheels you have made.Especially the first ones
    If I was you I wouldnt rubbish a learners work, you should be helping them do better.Isn't that what why people put their work out there?
    If you havent got something constructive to say,then troddle of to bingo or something you may be good at
    Anyone home?

Ah well, can't help those that don't want to be helped, eh.
    I don't mind good help at all, that is why we ask for it here, we all have to start some where, I think Aussie's work is excellent, and the wheels he makes are as good as the ones on the other site, it does not mater how you make them as long as the end result is the same,
    Thanks for your help,

Quote Originally Posted by mardtrp View Post
    Mark
    So what makes you the great expert on the right or wrong way to make cart wheels? In this forum, we don't crticise others work but offer constructive critisism or suggestions. I feel there is no right or wrong way to do something that results in the finished product being acceptable.

Aussie has never pretended to be the master wheel maker of all time, in fact, just the opposite, he is very critical of his own work. Nevertheless he is an excellent woodworker and model maker and does some great work and has provided us with many hours of pleasure with his threads on this forum. He has simplified wheel making for us with his ideas and graphic, detailed pictures and given us the opportunity and inspiration to have a go with his method which is not too complicated.

I have seen many different methods of building cart wheels over the years and most of the ones I have seen are complicated and require a high level of skill. Maybe its this fact that has detered others from giving it a go. I know I gave up trying to make spoked wheels long ago. I am now thinking of using Aussies method and having another go. I, for one, appreciate somone like Aussie taking the time and the effort to pass on his knowledge to us.

I have seen the other wheels you mention in your post and yes, I must admit, they are excellent but give someone else a go too mate and if you haven't got something constructive to say, sometimes its better to say nothing at all.

Yes, Aussie is a friend of mine and a friend of a lot of others on this forum. I have never had the pleasure of meeting him but hope one day that I might. He is very respected here, a respect that he has earned and deserves.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

whs:

I happen to agree Aussie is also a friend and I know some of his ideas were put together from all sorts of areas he got information from funny enough the web site you mentioned and if you look close enough he's a member there also.