Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Question about apprenticeships

If you have a four year apprenticeship how much of that time do you spend at a tafe and when do you really start doing your job.
    Thanks David
    giveitagoturning @hotmail.com

in Vic trade school is 24 weeks total

Generally you go to TAFE/trade school for 6 weeks over the course of a year, for a week at a time at regular intervals. You're at your job from day 1 of the apprenticeship, but whether you're actually doing your job or sweeping floors and being sent to get striped paint is a whole other story

When i was an apprentice it was night school twice a week for two years.
    we started doing small jobs at about age 18. ( Boilermaker )

It's been my experience that you learn more when you finish your apprenticeship than during it.
    Don't be afraid to question anything you don't understand.

Get your own wirenetting oil can and cap full of nail holes.
    Cheers Fred

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with the light on.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/fredsmi ... t_creative"

Updated 26 April 2010
    http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Quote Originally Posted by fenderbelly View Post

Get your own wirenetting oil can and cap full of nail holes.
    And left-handed screw-driver
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

When I did my Carpentry and Joinery Coarse during the early 70s I went to TAFE for a full day once a week for 3 years. While working as an apprentice. The final year (4 years) no Tafe just on the job experience This was in Sydney (Bigger population)
    In later years 1990s while working in the Kitchen Manufacturing game, (in country NSW) our apprentices would do one full week every 6 weeks at TAFE for 3 years. Some of the apprentices went to Lidcome but others went to Newcastle. There wasn't quite enough applicants to warrant the TAFE to set up the Coarse and equipment needed to do the coarse in Tamworth
    When I went to tech I had to pay the fees but now that burden goes to the employer. The apprentices when they went down for the block release had to find and pay for their own accommodation
    It would depend on what Coarse you want to do and where you live and which TAFE offers what coarse
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

I did four years/one day a week. My son (mechanic) was lucky, they selected the most enthusiastic kids and their three year course was compressed to two years and he was a tradie at twenty. For the first year of his apprenticeship he washed cars and ran errands and generally got p'd off with the whole thing but there was a method in their madness, he got to know the whole dealership and how it worked from top to bottom and was the only apprentice who completed his time in many years. Most kids don't finish their time these days for a lot of reasons unfortunately not like when I did it, then you had to finish as it took an act of parliament to release the indentures.
    CHRIS

David

I'm not sure if you are enquiring for yourself or on behalf of another.

It used to be that apprentices spent one day a week going to tech or Tafe. Nowadays it seems that they go for block release.

Also there is increasingly a competency based assessment which can reduce the overall apprenticship period. While this sounds like a really good arrangement, in practice it is dictated by the employer and his integrity. Consequently some people are rushed through before they are competent and others are held back because they are a source of cheap labour.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

First of I would like to thank every one for there feedback.
    Paul
    Without saying to much I think people do get pushed through to quick and don't learn to much and the knowledge is getting lost. I have seen this at work from when I started to the kids who join now they don't get as much as I did.
    David
    giveitagoturning @hotmail.com