Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 36 NZ coal miners missing

4.30pm today there was a gas explosion at the Pike River Coal Mine on the West Coast of New Zealand. 36 miners not accounted for and there are reports of a long rescue operation.

'Rescue efforts could take days' - national | Stuff.co.nz
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

Thanks MJ. I'm actually in Christchurch right now and have the local radio on with updates. Cool day here after yesterdays scorcher, guess it's a bit cool down your way too?

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Pike River : Ten Years in the Making

Pike River Tunnel Reaches Hawera Fault | Scoop News

A couple of links for those that are interested, not a very old mine. Interesting construction, not that I know much about underground work.
    Fingers crossed.
    We don't know how lucky we are......

Number of miners revised to 29 since my first post. As of Sunday afternoon rescue teams are still delaying going into the mine due to risk of gas and further explosions. I believe a 6" diameter hole is being drilled from above the main drive to assist in evaluating gas levels.

The Aussies have sent over some mine rescue experts and equipment....thanks mates.

Our thoughts are with them.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

YES, lets hope and pray that we have another mine miracle with all surviving; plus that the rescue efforst are able to happen very soon.

Exclamation

Not a good thing to happen!!

I know that people are being positive but things really don't look good. I just hope that all turns out well.

Of course my thoiughts are with our Kiwiw mates, especially the families of those trapped miners.

As at 5.15pm Monday NZ time

A laser camera inserted into a bore hole at the Pike River coal mine could soon reveal the first images of the spot where miners are thought to be trapped.
    Twenty-nine workers are missing inside the mine after an explosion on Friday.
    High gas levels have made it too dangerous for rescue crews to enter the shaft.
    A hole being drilled 162 metres into the ground at the place where the men were working is expected to be completed on Monday. Rescuers then plan to insert laser-imaging equipment into the bore hole.
    Air samples will also be taken to give a clearer idea of gas levels in the mine.
    Pike River Coal Mine chief executive Peter Whithall says the last 10 metres of the hole will be bored using a diamond drill bit to avoid sparks that could ignite methane gas inside the mine.
    Officials say the mine remains too dangerous for rescue teams to enter.
    Rescue teams are still waiting to begin their search but officials on Monday said high levels of volatile toxic gases make it too dangerous still to enter the mine.
    Rescue workers are also planning to send a Defence Force robot into the mine shaft. Extra cable is coming from an Australian mining company to extend the robot's reach, and it is being modified so it does not give off sparks and cause another explosion.
    The Defence Force says the robot is used for the disposal of improvised explosive devices. The automated robot will be sent into the mine when it is safe.

There has been no communication with the miners and contractors at the horizontal mine at Atarau, near Greymouth, since a methane gas explosion cut power and blew out ventilation fans at 3.45pm on Friday.
    The men are believed to be trapped about 2km along the Pike River Coal mine tunnel burrowed in rugged mountains and bush and 150 metres below the surface.
    Families of the workers have expressed frustration and are anxious for a rescue mission to begin.
    Once drillers get through to what they hope will be a space in the mine, they will be able to put fibre optic cable down or a camera and take air samples.
    Pike River Coal says the Department of Conservation has agreed to a 2.7km track being cut into the land to allow a walking access to the damaged ventillation shaft.
    This will enable more air samples to be taken, and a tube will be put along the length of the track to take air samples directly to a testing site at the mine. The bore hole will also allow rescuers to hear anyone talking.
    Testing on Sunday showed the gas levels were generally declining but fluctuating, and there is still a risk of another explosion.
    Pike River Coal chairman John Dow said there has definitely been a fire of some sort in the mine, but it is not clear if it is still burning.
    The situation is being investigated by analysing gases from the mine. Mr Dow says high levels of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are still being found

Drilling down to the mine shaft 135m in so far .

Having come from a mining family in the north of England, I sympathise with those above ground. My Father Grandfather and uncle where all trapped, but only for a short period back in the 50's. No sooner had dust settled and teams of men either side were digging by hand to retrieve those trapped.

My they soon find news from down the pit.

Firstly and foremost my thoughts go to the families of the miners.
    I know how my wife reacted when Appin blew not to mention the night I came home part way into my shift covered in coal dust and a huge bandage from an accident at the pit.

A couple of things that has me a bit perplexed with this.
    1. Where exactly did this explosion take place? Was it in the access shaft at the fault zone or further inbye?

2. Every picture I have seen of the insides of this mine and these were portrayed to be in the coal area it is black. Ok I know they are mining coal and coal is black but from my past experience working in the Aust coal fields we use to spray limestone powder about in thick quantities. This was to reduce the effect of a methane and coal dust explosion; it diluted the coal dust whipped up when an explosion took place.

3. What I have seen of the mine plan via a NZ paper it appears somewhat convoluted re ventilation hence a return airway issues.

Just thoughts.

At this stage they have no idea where exactly the explosion too place .

Of the two blokes who walked out , one was in 1.7km and the other , who was blown of the digger , was closer to the tunnel entrance
    It took them about two hours to get out.

The rest were working past the 2km mark .

Thanks.
    Seems from other readings it is fresh air almost up to the fault.
    It is a pity no real detail is coming out, but I fear it would not be pleasant to read.

'''' Drilling will be slowed during the last 10m, and a diamond drill bit used, to minimise the risk of sparks and another explosion.
    Pike chairman John Dow said earlier today that the switch from open-hole drilling to a diamond-tipped drill was to minimise the chances of the drill igniting sparks.
    "The drilling that is going on at the moment is a rotary, it's a grinding progress and could cause sparks at the bottom of the hole.
    "The diamond drilling cuts through rock without causing sparks at the bottom of the hole. It's just a common sense safety procedure," Dow said.
    "It's possible that the air coming up the tunnel is bypassing and going up the shaft and diluting the readings we are getting up the shaft at the moment. We need to go away from that area to where the men are."
    Work will continue around the clock to complete the last few metres of drilling.'''

Blast fears slow drilling - National - NZ Herald News