Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Novice in desperate need of help!!

Hi there

I am in quite a state. I have a whole house of skirting boards, doors and architraves (vic ash) to stain, and I have no idea what product to use. My main concern is ease of use - I have NEVER done this before and have a terrible feeling I'm going to stuff it up.

I thought I would use a Stain and Varnish in one (eg Cabots) but after reading other posts on this forum, it seems the quality is a bit lacking. Also it is only available in 1 litre tins and I will need lots.

So now I am looking at Cabots Interior Stain, but I'm worried about the application method, and wiping off with a cloth. I'm sure when I do it, the finish will be patchy. I was planning to use CFP or Carbothane as the top coat in gloss. I'm looking at a darkish stain, perhaps Cedar or Australian Jarrah if we are looking at the Cabots Interior Stain colours.

So my questions are:

- for a complete novice like me, what is my safest bet for a good quality finish - will I be able to use a straight stain without it looking patchy and horrible or am I better off using a Stain and Varnish product;
    - what are the tricks of the trade in application. Can someone give me a "Staining for Dummies" guide
    - do I use a sealer first (eg Proofseal) to get a more uniform finish, or will that hinder the stain....)

I've got a lot of work ahead of me but I'm being realistic and I think it will probably take me 12 months to do it.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm clambouring around in the darkness at the moment!

Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by roddy View Post
    Hi there

I am in quite a state.
    Roddy

Yeah Victoria - That is quite a state

Roddy, are the skirtings etc already installed, or yet to be? If not an Oil Based stain and then sprayed with Wattyl Tung Oil is what I did and very pleased with the result.

regards
    woodcutta

I always tend to use cabot's interior stains, because that is what I was taught with. Patchiness from staining seems to me to be due to the wood not being very evenly sanded. Stain always shows up all scratches and marks on your timber. When I've applied stains I've left them on for a couple of minutes [more or less depending on how dark you want the wood stained]. You then rub the remaining stain off until no more will come off on your rag. I think the staining bit is messy but easyish, its the timber preparation that is difficult. I always use disposable gloves now when I stain so my hands dont get stain all over them. I havent used sanding sealers before so can't comment. Have you got any offcuts that you can practise on?
    Sorry if the above isnt much use. Wishing you luck anyway.
    PS. I grew up in Victoria. I think you are in a lovely state.
    Last edited by JMB; 18th February 2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Thanks for the replies (and the bad puns!) - the skirts are already installed.

I'm assuming we just hand sand?? I was only going to give them a light sand, but perhaps I need to do a bit more. I'm dreading this whole project now!

I think it would be just about impossible to get a perfect finish on all your woodwork with stain because there is so much of it to prepare, but as long as you prepare all the woodwork the same, ie give them the same amount of sanding before staining, all the woodwork will look uniform even if there are some scratches,marks etc. I think once you get started you will do fine, its always worse before you try something new.

You have a house with a whole lot of vic ash in it which is a definite bonus and a great starting point.

I strongly encourage you to get some vic ash offcuts and try this with the stain/s you are thinking of using. You'll quickly realise that its not too hard and you'll be able to decide how much sanding you wan to do after you've done some tests.

Default Wipe the stain dry.

Regarding, oil wiping stains, regardless of how you apply the stain, be it with a brush, cloth, or spray, you must uniformly wipe the stain dry.

Good Luck