Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Moving a fuse box

I m considering an extension to the house that would involve moving the fuse box. Has anyoe had this done or a sparky to give me a cost estimate?

Box would only need to move about 5m.

Cheers
    SN

Are you sure it needs to be moved? Call your electricity network provider and ask. They may just need specific access instructions to be able to read your meter.

Yeah it can be done
    It depends on where it is now and where you want it to be moved to as to how big a job it is
    If it is being moved further away from the Service fuse the supply authority may need to be involved (to terminate the tails in the meter)
    Otherwise an electrician can do it.
    But if the current switchboard is not up to Australian Standards it may need to be replaced and could be rather an expensive exercise

Where are you in Vic
    Id be happy to give you a quote (If you are not to far away)

PM me your Details
    Electricity:
    One Flash and you're ASH

Not sure about the situation in Vic, but in Tas installing electronic remote read (ERT) meters or a Pay As You Go (PAYG) meter is often a much cheaper option than relocating the switchboard since both of those remove the need for access by meter readers.

Here in SA i wanted to mve my powerbord/meter etc tried every witch way I could to get approval just got a flat out "no it's not going to happen". It would have been closer to the termial box and esier for the meter reader to access, but hey just would not allow it

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    Here in SA i wanted to mve my powerbord/meter etc tried every witch way I could to get approval just got a flat out "no it's not going to happen". It would have been closer to the termial box and esier for the meter reader to access, but hey just would not allow it
    Another state variation. In Tas as long as it complies with Aurora's requirements (which are clearly stated in the Service and Installation Guide) then you can move it no problem. Only real rule is if it's non-compliant (eg inside or behind a locked gate) and you move it then it has to comply with the rules and be accessible even though it didn't comply before.

I thought Shannon is wanting to move the fuse box not the meter box

Not necessary the same thing
    Electricity:
    One Flash and you're ASH

Geezus the way you blokes talk you blokes are 10 years behind the time with metering I suppose you blokes are still using triple inline meter bases for Op! have they introduced digital metering yet????the first phase of digital metering came in 10 years back in NSW... I use to drop the old meters in to the supply authority
    and they re calibated tem and sent them bakc out into the market for re- use!

the Energy authority have threatened for years and are installing metering devices on the basis of monitoring supply in and supplyout then monitoring consumer usage the bill which they can also via remoteley to see if the consumer is stelaing power before the meters!!!!

And heaps have been caught!!!

the bar stewards put a new digital meter in my box middle of last year and now charge for diffrent times of the day
    2pm to 8pm is at 25.10cents per kWh
    7am to 2pm and 8pm to 10pm 8.90 cents per kWh
    all other times is at 5.10 cents per kWh
    instead of the 10and a half cents per kWh they use to charge so even doing the washing and dishwasher at night the bill still goes up
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Talking Siesta Time

Ashore,

That's easy!

Early to Rise,
    Late to bed,
    AND
    Siesta somewhere in the middle.
    Navvi

Patty I think you missed the point

Default Moving the meter/fuse box.

Should have explained better.
    Fuse/meter box is currently near front of house. This part of the house will end up inside the extension. Whatever way is cheapest is what I am after ie. if the meter can go alone out the front and the current fuse box to remain where it is.

Cheers
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore View Post
    the bar stewards put a new digital meter in my box middle of last year and now charge for diffrent times of the day
    2pm to 8pm is at 25.10cents per kWh
    7am to 2pm and 8pm to 10pm 8.90 cents per kWh
    all other times is at 5.10 cents per kWh
    instead of the 10and a half cents per kWh they use to charge so even doing the washing and dishwasher at night the bill still goes up
    I went on time of use system about 12 months ago. It is possible to save money with TOU .... you just have to work hard at it. If you are fortunate enough to have a spa, swimming pool or septic system which you can switch over to night rate it makes it a easier. But if you are Mr Joe Average and use most of your electricity during peak expect to pay more. I now try to use anything that chews electricity during shoulder times. I don't think the neighbours would be happy with me running big machinery after 10pm. But as an interesting side effect if you have say a light that runs 24hrs it actually works out a bit cheaper. I have managed to keep my electrictity costs about the same but it has meant some compromise and inconvienence. What I think is very unfair about the system is the way in which it is being introduced with some people paying 2.5 times the price of their neighbour yet they are still getting the same product.
    Every hour, every day I'm learning more
    The more I learn the less I know about before
    The less I know the more I want too look around
    Digging deeper for clues on higher ground.

My neighbour wanted to move the meter/fuse box from the back verandah to the side of the house to get it away from the living area. Changed his mind when the local sparky quoted him $2000. Hope this helps.

Brett