Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default where to buy decking materials in Melbourne

Hi, Brand new to posting but have been viewing for a long time, not able to contribute anything technically useful so far but amazed at the knowledge and helpful tips of the gifted !

I am planning (with the help of threads here) a decking in the back yard, joining onto the side of the house, a hardwood decking 7.3 x 6.5 meters all up.

I have watched with interest the ebay sites advertising no nail systems and it looks really good.

Does anyone have a recomendation please on where in melb to purchase good quality ready to lay decking (coating later no probs)

The prices seem to vary a lot, like most things, I assume you get what you pay for,

Many thanks for reading and hopefully I can contribute from my own experience when this project is done,

Regards Paul

In my opinion, you can't beat the look of natural timber decking. I considered some of the new pre-form boards they have on display at Bunnings but it looked too plastic. I went for Merbu and am very happy with the result. Finished in natural decking oil. Most larger places have that sort of thing. I got mine through a builder who has a Bowens account.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

If you can get down to Flatmans timber in Mount Waverly, tell them you want some advice and have a chat to them about what you're planning. They should point you in the right direction and give you a good indication of what to expect in terms of availability/quality & cost options.

Many thanks people, I'll head to Flatmans on the weekend. BTW I'd never considered anything other than hardwood, really just after the best place to buy it and see if anone had an opinion on the no nails system

Thanks again, Paul B

Paul I am able to help you with some flooring. I can call the mill and find out about decking in various Australian hardwoods.

As far as funny fixtures this is just timber but it costs about $25/square metre and is cover grade so decent stuff.

You can see the details on this thread

Let me know if you are interested at all. Best way to fix this down is to get a nail gun and rip into it.

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Thanks Studley,

Is this material ready to lay/fix ?
    I assume at 19mm 50m2 is about 1 tonne ?
    Is the tongue and groove in the ends or sides ?

Sorry for all the questions !!

Regards Paul

Paul go and have a look at the thread I posted before (click on the blue type) and you will see lots of information there.

The flooring is all tongue and groove and end matched. I am finding out if it is grooved in the back to prevent cupping. I get the same estimation as you 50m2 is about 1 tonne.

Studley

The underside of the flooring they have has two grooves in it. These are for ID purposes. It is all tongue and groove as the machine that dresses it also puts the tongue and groove in it as well.

Studley

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436
    The underside of the flooring they have has two grooves in it. These are for ID purposes. It is all tongue and groove as the machine that dresses it also puts the tongue and groove in it as well.

Studley
    Hi Studley,

I have re-read your other post and see some additions which explain my questions - thanks very much, I'm not sure the side tongue in groove is appropriate for me but many thanks for the kind offer and help - I really appreciate it but will search for some traditional decking stuff if anyone else knows where.

Regards Paul

Regards Paul

It's all dressed and tongue and groove the ends are matched as well which is handy because you don't have to put the joins over the top of a joist.

It will make the flashest deck I reckon.

Studley

Paul just chatted with the mill and they are able to supply 100x25 rough sawn for $6.00 per linear metre.

It is more expensive than the flooring because they are unable to grade it so have to charge as if were top grade wood. Of course you have to dress it yourself too.

Studley

Default recyled timber yard

There is a places hume hwy in campbablefeild ...fabio crt .. australian recyling company they have a web have a look , they really are good.

Quote Originally Posted by steve H
    There is a places hume hwy in campbablefeild ...fabio crt .. australian recyling company they have a web have a look , they really are good.
    Thanks very much Steve, do you know the name ? I've had a good search but short of driving out there, I'm unsure.

Regards Paul

G'day.
    Give Market Timbers a try.
    they are in the book.

They source Australian hardwood from northern NSW.
    It is the real deal. Not imported cr_ap.
    Also, it is pencil round decking. Not T&G.
    BTW...A higher price for rough sawn dry over machined T&G dry is Bullschit.
    Some body is trying to make a killing. You can almost smell Ripoff...

Be wary of poor drying and machining. Some producers only air dry (Stabilized) rather than Kiln dried (Seasoned).
    Endmatched is not ideal for decking. Decking must be joined over the joists.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

BTW...A higher price for rough sawn dry over machined T&G dry is Bullschit.
    Some body is trying to make a killing. You can almost smell Ripoff...
    I take offense to that. From the supplier I was quoting and offering a very good price they can't grade the timber until it is faced. Rough Sawn means ungraded so they have to put a loading on it because they have to cover for the higher grade timber you would get at that point.

From being sawn it goes through one machine which dresses and puts a tongue and groove into it it can then be graded as select premium feature or cover grade.

Studley