Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Olympics - Last Place Getters

Australia not only excelled at Athens with the Medal tally, but we also did well in the "last place getters" table, only second behind the host nation.

Country # LPF
    1. Greece 13
    2. Australia 8
    3. Poland 7
    4. USA 7

#lpf - number of last place finishers
    see for more detail
    http://www.mcwetboy.net/dfl/
    "Looking west with the land behind me as the sun tracks down to the sea, I have my bearings" Tim Winton

can't criticize anyone for coming last, someone has to come last.

if someone comes last and they tried their best then they should be congratulated for trying .... no-one gets into the olympics by sitting on their bum watching the world go by and even the last finishers have probably spent hours training and given up other aspects of their lives

.... just taking part in the Athens Olympics at all is a major achievment in itself.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Jackie,

I agree, i didn't mean to criticize them, i just thought it was an interesting statistic. We seemed to only find out who got the medals, and ignore everyone else.
    What i reckon it does say is that we are willing to get in a give it a go, and give it our best.
    Last edited by PaulS; 31st August 2004 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling, what else...
    "Looking west with the land behind me as the sun tracks down to the sea, I have my bearings" Tim Winton

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    What a crock! There's no mention of the greatest losers of all ...the Seven commentary team!!

P

I think the hosts always end up top of the losers as they get to put somebody in every event and don't hav ethe same entry criteria as the other countries.

I assume Australia and the USA scores so high as is sends so many pacticipants. It's Poland I feel sorry for.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Are these 'losers' counted as the last in the event (did not qualify) or the last in the final (8th best in the world)?
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    What a crock! There's no mention of the greatest losers of all ...the Seven commentary team!!

P
    Seven shared a gold with nine, ten and SBS in the synchronised advertising event.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook