Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Carbatec

Default Carbatec

Hi all, specially those in West Aust.
    Don't know if this will get me in trouble but ah well.
    I live 6 hours drive from Perth, so deal mainly on the Net or phone.
    Placed an order for a CMT bowl and tray cutter from the CMT distributor in Perth, The store is a little further west from Bunnies in Balcatta.

The bit would cost $69.00 plus $7.00 postage. Ok no prob. Then I get an Email to say it was on back order. So I looked up Carbatec (the same company) in Adelaide. Yep the bit is in store ( I am actually holding it) Cost $58.00 plus $8.00 postage. Price to land it in my town $66.00. $ 10.00 better than the locals. and that includes a catalogue that the local boys cant or wont supply.

Will I shop locally?????????????
    Pete
    I tried to be normal once.
    Worst 2 minutes of my life.

IMO, shop where your dollars count.
    In this uncertain economic climate, if the locals don't look after you, the world is your shopping mall.

Default Carbatec #2

The plot thickens
    Further to the first post.
    Rang Carbatec Pert to cancel the router bit order. Then explained I had bought it cheaper from their Adelaide Branch. The answer was. Don't take any notice of the prices on the online store.
    From now on I will avoid Carbatec like the plague.

Maybe that comment is because Carbatec Perth is a franchise whereas CT Adelaide is a branch of the main store.

Peter.

...so, as the story goes, check around before you lay your dollars down.

Default #3

Hi Sturdee,
    Yeah Perth is a franchise, however the bright spark I spoke to said that Brisbane set the prices. Question is what prices????? Really highlights the fact that the true price is well hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by popawisky View Post
    Hi Sturdee,
    Yeah Perth is a franchise, however the bright spark I spoke to said that Brisbane set the prices. Question is what prices????? Really highlights the fact that the true price is well hidden.
    Doesn't only happen with prices on the net I was in Carbatec-Melbourne yesterday to pick up a few items. As is my normal practice I had looked these up on their website before going to Melbourne (I live about 2 hrs drive away), so I knew what to expect price wise. When I got there, one item which was listed on their website for $41 had a shelf price of $46.50. Asked the sales person what was going on. He looked it up in the computer and yes it was $41. Asked for an explanation. Turns out most of their shelf prices are still the 2009 catalog prices which they haven't bothered to change to the 2010 catalog prices, which are usually quite a bit lower.

Another example was their 8" slow grinder, shelf price $249, in computer and on the internet $219

I guess it would be worse if it was the other way around, but it begs the question how many people would walk out of the store without asking for an explanation.

They didn't seem overly concerned about that.

I wonder how many would be customers see the shelf price and walk out of the store without making a purchase. It always amazes me, the hundreds of thousands of dollars these large companies spend on advertising their products to draw the customers into their stores and yet are so offhanded to them.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Well yes you go where you get the best price including online orders if time/delivery is not an issue.

You could have also went to the likes of Power Tools and Machinery and Timbercon here in Perth.

Speaking of Perth you say you're 6hrs away, makes your location a bit misleading

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    I knew what to expect price wise. When I got there, one item which was listed on their website for $41 had a shelf price of $46.50.
    Fred, I was there on Monday and I noticed that on the end of the rows of shelves there were notices explaining that some items still had the old 2009 prices and to check with staff for the actual price.

I was bemused by that and felt that by now the current prices would be on all stock, after all it doesn't take that long for other stores, like Bunnings and supermarkets to update their shelf prices.

Peter.

They were pointed out to me after the event, hadn't seen them. When I queried when they expected to have their shelf prices updated, I was told they weren't really making any great effort. "Too busy"

Default #4

Rod
    Timbecon is my preferred shop but I needed a Bowl and Tray cutter. Can only find CMT stuff. 6 hours from Perth brings you to Hopetoun on the South Coast.

Hamlet 1/2 skew chisel $55ish at C-tec, but no stock for at least a month. Landed from the UK about $37....

Default reply to hamlet

i sussed out a tool for picture framing. Mob in QLD made it. Big Heavy a real two man and a dog affair. Mob in the UK had the original, lightweight easy to use and landed in the back blocks of West Aust at half the price.