Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Best Finish for Red Mallee

I am currently sanding back a piece of Red Mallee to mount weather instruments on.

I have sent an email to U-Beaut but yet no reply so I thought I would ask you gurus !

What grade of paper should I sand down to and what type of finish would bring out the best colour in the timber.

I have looked at EEE - Ultra Shine to start and then finish with Shellawax Cream, how would this go or should I be trying something else ?

Thanks

Colin

G'day Colin - Just done a search of Inbox and Spam files and there aint nooo questions on red mallee or for that matter anything with your email address on it. :confused:
    -----======oooO)(Oooo======-----

To answer your question.....

Unless you are turning the wood on the lathe don't use EEE first. To get the best colour and depth in the timber I would use White Shellac (dewaxed) won't change the colour of the timber any more than wetting it with water, but will bring out the depth and natural figuring of the timber beautifully.

Sand to around 800 grit apply a couple or 3 coats of shellac (more if you want) allow to dry for a day or so, wet sand with 1200 grit and finish off with EEE-Ultra Shine. Should look a million dollars

Cheers - Neil

PS If you have the equipment then spraying with Nitroceluluse is another alternatice. Don't turn it into a plastic piece of junk like so many I see at shows etc that have been coated with flo on 2 pack finishes. Don't want to offend anyone but it definitely is not a good look.:eek: