Default Possible forum outage

Hi guys,

The data center that hosts the servers most of this website runs off, is currently running on backup generators. I don't know how long the generators will be able to run for, nor do I know how upstream telco providers have been effected.

These are good links to follow whats going on;

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-ike-2008
    http://www.chron.com/

regards
    Steve
    --
    Woodwork Forums
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Are the servers in Houston-area? I suppose so. They are being hammered at the moment.
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    Are the servers in Houston-area? I suppose so. They are being hammered at the moment.
    The data center will with stand the storm, power and network connectivity could prove to be problems over the next few days.

EDIT: flooding also because the city is very flat.
    Steve
    --
    Woodwork Forums
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5998693.html

Hurricane Ike knocked electricity offline for virtually the entire Houston area as it continued to roar across the area today, while Galveston officials prepared to assess potentially grim scenes in surge-soaked neighborhoods.

CenterPoint Energy said about 90 percent of its roughly 2 million customers were in the dark before daybreak even as the storm continued to pack a punch with the eye still in eastern Harris County as of 5:30 a.m. That means nearly 4.5 million residents were without power and doesn't include the service area of Entergy Texas, which didn't have updated figures yet.
    Steve
    --
    Woodwork Forums

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    EDIT: flooding also because the city is very flat.
    Even as we write, they are plucking people off of roofs near Houston, as the storm surge has risen dramatically.
    Cheers,

Bob

Houston, we have a problem.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

My son, daughter inlaw and grand children live in Houston and they expect to be without power for at least 3 weeks, no drinking water, fuel, only a few days food, etc House and family all safe, devastation all around.

But best news of all is, they now have a massive oak tree in their back yard which wasn't there before and the server is still up and running.

Cheers - Neil

PS He hasn't mentioned it here but Steven has been doing backups of the forums every hour since before Ike struck just in case the whole thing floated out to sea. etc. The worst of it hasn't happened yet.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

The data centre must have an oil well in the back yard to run the genny

Glad as well with the sprogs Neil.

Mike