Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Getting back some privacy

A double storey place has just gone up behind us, we've lost our privacy, also these people are very noisy, not a good mix when you're trying to do accurate work etc in the garage. Anyone have any options here, we all have to work within certain constraints but I know I work best when I have a quiet (or at least fairly quiet) atmosphere. Thought about planting trees but that would take too long, looking for something quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    A double storey place has just gone up behind us, we've lost our privacy, also these people are very noisy, . . . . . . . .
    Fight back - get your self a small loud chainsaw ;-)

It's difficult without spoiling what you have. Fight noise for noise and you can have a nasty feud.
    Sugar gums and Cootamundra wattle grow very quickly as do grapevines.
    Good luck,
    Jim

Bamboo . The clumping kind not the running kind.
    You will have 4 -6 meter screen in two summers.

Under ResCode if the windows are less than 9m from the boundary you can approach Council and ask them to ensure that the glazing is either screened or obscure as to protect overlooking of your private open space. If it was an extension to an existing house or a new single dwelling (depending on overlays) it may have been approved through a private building surveyor who didn't pick up on it.

Unfortunately if it is more than 9m then there isn't an issue and it is just part of living in the burbs.

Not much you can do about the noise.

Cheers

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Lattice screen above fence height then grow a creeper (jasmine, grapefruit, trumpet vine, wisteria...) up it. It may take a few years but the latice will give some privacy until the creeper thickens up
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

I had a similar situation although thankfully the neigbours were not noisy. We had a concreted patio areá that was along the adjoining fence so we were unable to plant any trees.
    We purchased 5 very tall faux terra cotta pots and planted some mature camelias in them. We keep the water up to them and they have grown to a height of nearly three meters above the pot height in just two seasons.
    Its one of the possible downfalls of living the suburbs!
    And my head I'd be a scratchin'
    While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
    If I only had a brain.

I agree with the bamboo solution. This should fix it:

Phyllostachys vivax
    Common name: Chinese Timber
    Maximum 72 feet
    Averages 40 to 50 feet
    Maximum Diameter: 5 inches
    Hardiness: -5° F
    USDA Zone recommended 6 through 10
    Phyllostachys vivax is the hardiest timber bamboo. Under ideal conditions this species can grow to over 70 feet and 5 inches in diameter. This may be the largest hardy bamboo growing in the Pacific Northwest. It has grown over 4 inches in diameter in Oregon. This Phyllostachys is the quickest to attain large size. The thin walled culms are not especially strong. Shoots from this bamboo are among the best eating.
    Attachment 158154

Thumbs up

Do as Sir Stinkalot says and check on the privacy screening for windows. I had to do this with a house I recently built.

The Bamboo is a great idea too. Mate of a mates put bamboo in to solve a problem with a neighbour who was perving on his daughters in the swimming pool!

Quote Originally Posted by corbs View Post
    Lattice screen above fence height then grow a creeper (jasmine, grapefruit, trumpet vine, wisteria...) up it. It may take a few years but the latice will give some privacy until the creeper thickens up
    Thats what I would do and it would look nicer than Bamboo
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thanks boys, think I'll go with the lattice screen as I need something immediately, trees after that.