Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What a difference.

I have 2 lathes; a mid 80s 10" Herless and a mid 60s 15" Tos. I started out a job on the 10"; then transfered over to the Tos. (Actually making a plate for regrinding the bellmouthed chuck jaws on the TOS)
    What an amazing difference between the two. The Tos may be big; but is an absolute pleasure to use. Smoother, quieter and the controls just where I want them and much much more substantial. About 1650kg to be exact.

With a bit of luck I can finish the patterns off this week for the special back plates the Tos uses and get them off for casting so I can fit the new chucks. The chinese lathe could then become an endangered species.

By now you probably realise that I just love that old heavy metal. It has soul; just like pulling on your comfy old workboots.

Ken

How about a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    How about a pic?

Yeah,
    C'mon, We love pic's around here....
    Warning Disclaimer

It's cold and dark outside. Besides, there could be bunyips or something hiding in wait between here and the workshop. Or the dogs might have left a landmine or 2 lying around.

It will have to wait until tomorrow. And then there's no guarantee that I will be able to post the photo's anyway with my past attempts.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Toggy View Post
    I have 2 lathes; a mid 80s 10" Herless and a mid 60s 15" Tos. I started out a job on the 10"; then transfered over to the Tos. (Actually making a plate for regrinding the bellmouthed chuck jaws on the TOS)
    What an amazing difference between the two. The Tos may be big; but is an absolute pleasure to use. Smoother, quieter and the controls just where I want them and much much more substantial. About 1650kg to be exact.

With a bit of luck I can finish the patterns off this week for the special back plates the Tos uses and get them off for casting so I can fit the new chucks. The chinese lathe could then become an endangered species.

By now you probably realise that I just love that old heavy metal. It has soul; just like pulling on your comfy old workboots.

Ken
    110% behind you. I bought a rather battered Colchester Triumph, wondering if I had made the right choice. Then I played with a new chinese lathe, and there was at least 10 times the lash in the hand wheels for the cross slide. The Colchester cuts great threads.

I also have a 2M Cincinatti vertical mill, late 30's vintage. The gearbox rattles a bit, and sometimes it jumps out of gear, but over two feet (biggest milling job so far) the table is less than 0.001" out. That error might be due to how I clamped it.

This stuff is worth fixing. Despite decades of use, misuse and a great deal of neglect, it still works. You throw away chinese stuff when it breaks

thats European quality for you
    happy turning

Patrick

Dave J Guest

Hi Ken,
    I wrote this message as a PM for another member a few days ago and it might help you as well.

There is a size limit which is shown in the window that pops up. If it is bigger than this it wont go through.
    I use a picture resizer program called "image resizer power toy for windows XP" and I select large for up loads from my computer or medium if up loading to photo bucket to be the right size for this forum.

To put a picture up go to manage attachments under your message while writing it, click on it and a window will pop up. In that window push browse it will take you into your computer files, select the resized picture you want then push up load which is on the right.

To put a link from photo bucket copy the 3rd link (IMG code) under the picture and paste it in your message under the writing. Photo bucket is free to have and upload photos, you just need to creat an account which is easy.
    Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

There are also some sticky's on the forum for posting pictures, here are there links.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f36/po...ur-post-78760/

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f36/ad...our-post-3945/

Hope that helps
    Dave

PS
    I would also like to see a picture of your TOS lathe

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Can't understand why anybody would want to see this.

Ken

Well I'll be danged. Coloured things have appeared.

I remember making a comment some time ago the forum automatically resizing the photo to fit. The Panosonic has quite a high pixel resolution and are a pest to email etc.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Toggy View Post
    Ok, I'll give it a try.

Can't understand why anybody would want to see this.

Ken
    Me either. That must be the TOS in the background. C'mon, quit teasing!

The forum resizes for me, but not others I gather. Different versions of vb maybe?

Don't go saying nasty things about yor Herless or it might not make the parts you need for your Tos. hehe

Ah well, managed to string it out a bit.

The old girl is 8 foot long and 1800 kg. It was powered by a 10hp 2900 rpm 3 phase motor and reputed to take a 10mm depth of cut with 19mm tools. 21 speed gear box and spindle revs of 14-2900 revs.

I only have rural 2 phase power and finally saved to buy a 4kw RPC. I have de-rated the lathe power to a 3hp 1450 rpm motor giving 7-1450 spindle revs.
    It will still take a 5mm cut with barely any extra load on the motor. I have also QCTP.
    I originally fitted a brand new Weg 4hp 2 pole motor, but it drew so much amperage on startup it was tripping circuit breakers, stalling the RPC and causing severe chattering of the starting contactors and the 24 transformer for the controls was down to 18v. Fitted the old compressor motor and all was well.

It may not be easy on the eye to some people, but is sure functional.

Ken

beeyootifull, I too am a sucker for the "old gear"

Oh great now he is saying nasty things about the lath he likes!
    How could you say that its not easy on the eye.................... its way pretty if you ask me.
    Now for the stupid questions that I'm sure to become known for
    The "dial" above the stop switch is for?
    Whats the fourth shaft for? Botton two are power feed and on/off. Top two are lead screw and? leadscrew clutch?
    Is the dial geared to the leadscrew on the top slide?
    Great coolant pipe, I have one of those in the shed, might have to dig it out.

Stuart

Stu,

I only said SOME people think it is handsomly challenged; but we know that they sit on their taste buds. Top inner shaft is for fwd/rev of the carriage; selectable on the fly at lower speeds.

The "dial" is the gear selector.

The dial is geared to the leadscrew and pivots in to engage.

The carriage has an adjustable pressure disengage clutch.

The suds pump is a big one with plenty of flow. There was no coolant pipe when I got it; and the original one was a similiar sold swivel type. The old extendable laundry sink nozzle gives a large low pressure flow. It is FLOOD coolant after all. I need to make a splashback to keep the splatter in.

Ken