Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Antique rubber tread wheels - replacement options

Hi all,
    i've been asked to fix or replace some hacked up wheels on and antique tea service as seen here:
    Rubber Wheel Caster.JPG

I'm looking for a supplier of a similar wheel type, reproductions are fine.
    Anyone recommend any Australian or reputable overseas suppliers?

Thanks in advance

Have a look at Clark Rubber if there is one near you, or another supplier of rubber strip/shapes. You will probably find that the original wheels had tyres made from round rubber stripping that was just glued at the cut end - you can see what looks like the glued cut which has failed. Or you could get lucky & find a small drive belt of the correct diameter from one of the companies that supply drive belts for sewing machines & small lathes.

Real rubber cement is going to be the hardest thing to find, contact is similar but not quite the same - I have seen 'real' rubber cement offered by some leather work suppliers, but its expensive for a small tin (has to be shipped surface & not by post etc., hazmat, solvents.....)

I you want to replace the entire castor assembly you could try Watson Brass or Mother of Pearl & Son, or another online supplier of restoration parts. Elraco has them with a solid plastic wheel for just under $16 each on the 2nd page of their brass castor listing.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

I will put the options back to the owner and see which path they would like to go.