Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whose chequing yore speling?

The trusty spell-checker has become the curse of good writing, writes David Campbell.

One of the ATMs of a major bank was out of action the other day and a large sign informed potential customers that "We appologise for any inconvenience this may cause".

The only inconvenience I suffered was a sense of irritation that such carelessness with spelling should be put on public display. And if that makes me a pedant, so be it. It's a badge I'm proud to wear.

Shorthand text-messaging, the proliferation of hastily written emails, an increasing reliance on computer spell-checkers and a general "near enough is good enough" approach to our writing are sabotaging proper attention to correct spelling and grammar.

English is a beautiful language that can so easily be ruined by careless, unnecessary mistakes. British writer and broadcaster Lynne Truss has excited a great deal of comment recently with her best-selling book Eats, Shoots and Leaves about the correct use of punctuation, but I want to tackle another disease that commonly afflicts modern writing - the curse of the spell-checker.

Each of the four words in the heading of this article is incorrectly spelt, but only two of them were picked up by the spell-checker. "Whose" and "yore" are both wrong in this context, but they were accepted because they do have genuine uses.

Unfortunately, our increasing dependence on the computer means that we are not turning to our dictionaries often enough to confirm correct spelling and usage of words.

I haven't seen "appologise" before, but if you take a drive around the beach at Elwood you'll find that old favourite "accomodation" prominently displayed on a sign. They're examples of carelessness, and there are any number of similar words that are regularly misspelt.

A very short list of common mistakes that the spell-checker should pick up might include independant, relevent, seperate, arguement, correspondance, definate, experiance, grammer, liason, priviledge, wierd, Febuary, harrass, sieze, labratory, graffitti and truely.

When we see them we wince (hopefully), but if it's only an incorrect letter (such as an "e" instead of an "a") technology will quickly fix it. Problems arise, however, when the errors are those that the spell-checker won't recognise. There are many, many pairs (or groups) of words with the same or similar pronunciation but different spelling.
    For example, a literary anthology that included some poetry of mine last year contained a "forward" instead of a "foreword".

"Does it matter?" some might say. "We know what it means."
    Yes, it does matter, for consider those mistakes that create ludicrous outcomes.

Reading in a newspaper that "the lambs gambled happily in the field" suggests that we credit sheep with a hitherto unknown tendency towards risk-taking. (Were they, perhaps, placing bets on a "hoarse"?) In a similar vein, learning that someone is "under the wether" conjures up a rather startling image.

Should the person concerned be more "discrete" or more "discreet", and should we question their "principles" or "principals"?

My spell-checker, of course (coarse?), is perfectly content to accept (except?) these words, whether (weather?) right (rite?) or not (knot?) in context.

And that is why a good dictionary should always be close at hand so that you can verify whether: you pay someone a "compliment" or a "complement"; a horse is "led" or "lead" to water; we wait with "bated" or "baited" breath; you're going to "loose" or "lose" your money at the pokies;

she's the immediate "past" or "passed" president; a dentist is giving you an "aural" or "oral" examination; your daughter wants a "bridle" or "bridal" veil; you're going fishing on the "peer" or "pier"; you're buying something on "hire" or "higher" purchase; you are studying "currant" or "current" affairs; you're seeking someone's wise "counsel" or "council"; you are trying to "illicit" or "elicit" information; the car is "stationery" or "stationary"; your cousin is pursuing a "naval" or "navel" career; you're setting off to "pedal" or "peddle" your bike; you have been the victim of "fowl" or "foul" play; you're going to "waive" or "wave" your rights; you're learning the "marshal" or "martial" arts; you are eating a bowl of "cereal" or "serial".

Because if you don't check, the results can be quite absurd. For example, yew could right a storey about a pour, pail mail. He eight a bole of muscles and through up awl ova the plaice wen he sore watt he'd dun.

Your trusty computer won't find a single mistake... so do you have to "practise" or "practice" constantly?
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

I can miss spell so creatively that the 'puter has NO IDEA what I mean.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Sadly, all too (to, two) true.
    My personal hate is the tendency in Australia to spell the letter h with a haitch at the beginning
    John

A practical reason for care with spelling on the forums is to ensure the search works. A well written piece entitled "Sharpning" will be lost forever because searches for "Sharpening" simply will not find it. As a moderator I am occasionally guilty of correcting a key word to ensure our search engine will not lose a good post.

As a moderator I am occasionally guilty of correcting a key word to ensure our search engine will not lose a good post.
    Me too or should that be to or maybe two.

Now that the secret's out, I'll have to test you lot.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    Now that the secret's out, I'll have to test you lot.
    Oh dear, more work for us

Actually it is entirely subjective - as Groggy says - it's only for worthwhile posts
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

We'll start with the Americanised spelling in your signature block then shall we

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    Oh dear, more work for us

Actually it is entirely subjective - as Groggy says - it's only for worthwhile posts
    That's me stumped then!

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    We'll start with the Americanised spelling in your signature block then shall we
    No! No! Pretty please No!

Regards, Woodwould.

How about a bit of German Ve can make you suffer using Vasser torture.

So will we be doing Braille also what about sign or Ozlan

[QUOTE=Woodwould;1095106] a dentist is giving you an "aural" or "oral" examination;

It would be a pretty clever dentist who could check your teeth through your ears.
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

Quote Originally Posted by groggy View Post
    we'll start with the americanised spelling in your signature block then shall we
    bam
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwould View Post
    I'll have to test you lot.
    "you" a colloquialism of the 17th century.
    "you".... is the second personal pronoun in "modern English"
    "Ye" is the original (and correct) nominative form.

what if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Honestly who cares...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Honestly who cares...
    Hear, here.