Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Making timber lighter

Hi,

I have just built a mantlepiece out of Kourie.I wanted to put a clear finish on it but when I tried it on a bit of scrap it made the timber too dark for what I am after.

I was using an oil based Cabots satin clear finish.

Is there any thing I can use that will not change the colour too much or is their some way to make the timber lighter before I finish it.

Thanks

Greg

At the bottom of the page there is a link to Ubeaut enterprises, have a look at the dewaxed white shellac page. All finishes will darken the timber somewhat, this is supposed to darken it the least of all finishes.

Apart from white shellac the water based clear acrylics dont' darken the timber much.
    But I'd go for Ubeaut's white shellac as it dries faster and you can build it up a bit faster.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

You could lime it but I'd think that would look unatural. My gran had a kourie sink surround in her kitchen - it was totally unfinished but often scrubed - looked great TEHO
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

I think the kauri will finish dark whatever clear finish you put on it. It may also darken further over time.

Oxalic bleach from hardware stores is a mild bleach commonly used to lightn wood. Dissolve 1/4 cup in 1/2 bucket of warm water and sponge on several times, leaving to dry in the sun in between applications. Hose off to finish.

Can't guarantee this will greatly lighten kauri. More serious bleaches such as sodium hypochlorite and hydrogen peroxide can also be used, if you can get them and know how to use them.
    Rusty

Pre cat nitro laquer is pretty cleer.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.