Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Moving toilet and sewer pipes

Before I get the plumber in to move the toilet from one side of the bathroom to the other I wanted to check what my options are as far as running new sewer pipes are.
    It's an old house with a septic tank - the existing clay sewer pipe (from the old toilet) runs under the foundation wall to a covered inspection 'hole' outside the back door and from there it combines with other pipes to the septic tank in the garden.

As I don't want the plumber to connect the new pipe from the toilet to the old clay sewer pipe, is it legal for him to run a straight 80 mm pvc pipe thru the existing clay pipe (int.diam.~100mm) to the inspection hole?
    For such a short length (toilet u bend to inspection hole under 2.5 meters) does the sewer pipe need to be ventilated?
    If this is possible it will save major hassles of digging up the concrete backyard area down to the foundation walls plus a bit of money hopefully.

cheers

As to the pipe within a pipe, I don't see why not. Do it over here all the time when repairing old clay pipes--just run a new liner through it. [Someone will tell me why you can't do that in OZ. ]

As for the vent--you must have a vent. The plumber won't attach it without a vent. [Now someone will also tell me why you can omit the vent in OZ. ]
    Cheers,

Bob

Bob

Seeing he is from Kiwi land I don't think anyone here will know the rules for there so he will need to get his plumber in to tell him.

Although many people believe that NZ is just another state of OZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White View Post
    Bob

Seeing he is from Kiwi land I don't think anyone here will know the rules for there so he will need to get his plumber in to tell him.

Quite right. Not paying attention. This worldwide web stuff is great but next I'll be giving electrical advice for Sri Lanka and not realise it.
    Cheers,

Bob

Bob

Good on ya Barry, that was helpful.
    Actually many people believe that because the Aussie standards begin with AS/NZS that they be written for both countries .
    What do ya reckon, Bazza !!

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Good on ya Barry, that was helpful.
    Actually many people believe that because the Aussie standards begin with AS/NZS that they be written for both countries .
    What do ya reckon, Bazza !!

So it is a fact not a rumor that New Zealand is a state of Australia.

Yes Tims I did realise that standards apply to both AU & NZ and that is the same as the electrical standards but not being a plumber I thought it could be the same as electrical where County Councils have local rules that are additional to the AS/NZS.

Just knowing what councils are like they are real sticklers for the rules and usually wont bend them.

Cheers Barry.

So it is a fact not a rumor that New Zealand is a state of Australia.
    Actually Australia did ask, but we declined politely. way.

No councils in vic create there own rules for electricial work.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuildingsurv View Post
    No councils in vic create there own rules for electricial work.
    They do up here.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Before I get the plumber in to move the toilet from one side of the bathroom to the other I wanted to check what my options are as far as running new sewer pipes are.
    It's an old house with a septic tank - the existing clay sewer pipe (from the old toilet) runs under the foundation wall to a covered inspection 'hole' outside the back door and from there it combines with other pipes to the septic tank in the garden.

As I don't want the plumber to connect the new pipe from the toilet to the old clay sewer pipe, is it legal for him to run a straight 80 mm pvc pipe thru the existing clay pipe (int.diam.~100mm) to the inspection hole?
    No its not legal to do this because if the drain blocks up you will have waste material stuck inbetween the old VC pipe and the new pvc one. Why can't the plumber join on to the old pipe? If it's still in good condition then it should be ok?

For such a short length (toilet u bend to inspection hole under 2.5 meters) does the sewer pipe need to be ventilated?
    If the existing run is vented then you will have to vent the new one, If it isn't vented then you probably don't have to vent the new one as long as your not moving it too far.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

note: AS/NZS3500, only slight variations between the two. Dont 'sleeve' the pipe with 80mm, unless you are going to take it the whole way to the septic, and its vented, if it happens to be the 'main' drain to the septic it must remain 100mm, besides I dont know about NZ but here it would almost be cheaper to bust up the concrete than buying the 80mm gear!
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by wonderplumb View Post
    note: AS/NZS3500, only slight variations between the two. Dont 'sleeve' the pipe with 80mm, unless you are going to take it the whole way to the septic, and its vented, if it happens to be the 'main' drain to the septic it must remain 100mm, besides I dont know about NZ but here it would almost be cheaper to bust up the concrete than buying the 80mm gear!

80mm is ok for main drains in NZ as far as I can see, they still use 32mm basin runs too. ( freaks!)
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!