Unhappy painting maranti hardwood

Hi fellow woodworkers,

We installed maranti hardwood windows in our house about 10 months ago and due to busy work schedules, I have not yet painted the hardwood on the outside that now looks quite weathered. I have just applied pink primer on two of the external windows and have puttied the nail holes.
    Can someone please advise on the best way to go about painting the outside wood to restore and maintain its integrity? Should I use a wood hardener or another product before applying any undercoat/sealer and top coat?
    Thanking you in anticipation.

John

John.

Everyones an expert on paint but my 2c worth is as follows. Generally a light sand before applying the undercoat is a good idea. Otherwise pink primer is fine, if you intend to use oil base top coat then two coats will do the trick. I prefer waterbased, and opt for oil base primer for the base, followed by waterbased primer then two coats of something like self priming solar guard. Sounds like overkill, but the method was suggested by an old painter and it just keeps holding on, lot better than using solarguard without primer and seeing the stuff cracking up a few years later.

John

I painted some maranti using water based paint without a sealer first, the grain raised after the first undercoat.
    Even after 2 undercoats and 1 topcoat the grain still raised, but things worked out in the end. after sanding the whole thing again:eek:

I don't know much about paint, obviously the 3 or 4 paint shop owners/experts I sort advice from knew about the same.( just put this on mate it needs no primer/undercoat etc I been painting 35 years)

That said I'd go the primer or anything some expert tells you won't raise the grain lol.

DJ0 Cheers

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by johnc
    John.

Everyones an expert on paint but my 2c worth is as follows. Generally a light sand before applying the undercoat is a good idea. Otherwise pink primer is fine, if you intend to use oil base top coat then two coats will do the trick. I prefer waterbased, and opt for oil base primer for the base, followed by waterbased primer then two coats of something like self priming solar guard. Sounds like overkill, but the method was suggested by an old painter and it just keeps holding on, lot better than using solarguard without primer and seeing the stuff cracking up a few years later.

John
    Dear Johnc,

thanks for your prompt reply. Am I to understand that on top of the oil based pink primer I have used, you are recommending I use a water based sealer/.primer then 2 top coats of water based self priming solar guard paint?

JohnK

That's what the painter told me, did the first window 10 years ago and the balance over the following two years. Paint still looks as though it's been done in the past year so I felt it was worth the effort. Previously the frames had been oiled in a cabots product, in an effort to keep the WRC looking good. Failed to protect so we ended up paint outside and a clear finish over Danish Oil inside. The westerly sun tended to destroy the oil in about three months leaving the window unprotected.

John.

johnc is on the right track, with the oil base primer underneath you not only seal the timber against the water raising the grain but make it real easy to remove in the future by burning the paint off if needed years down the track.

I purchased a house which had been quickly spruced up over the weatherboards with water paint because the old paint had in parts completely gone.

The water based acrylics go sticky and was a pest to remove off the bare timber.
    Where the old oil paint was it blistered up taking the acrylic with it and I was left with clean wood.

I pink pimed with and undercoated with oil based paint then used weathershield and 20 years later its still in great shape.

and I know it will come off easily if I have to do it anytime.