Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Filler/Oil/Wax for a Teak Table

Hi (newbie alert), six years ago I bought a raw recycled teak dining table - med/dark brown colour with a lot of visible grain (nothing like the 70's light teak). The grain was filled with a contrasting, light-coloured filler (I'm guessing) that made it look amazing. To my despair when I used Danish Oil as recommended, the filler completely disappeared. I haven't done anything else to it since.

I'm ready to bring it back to it's former glory, so how do I avoid what happened? I'm guessing the problem is something to do with oil based vs water based? I've googled and searched here but can't find anything definitive.

Also, I'm unsure whether to just fill and oil, or put some wax on as well. I think wax looks and feels great but will it survive on a table used daily?

Any answers, alternatives or product suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    Hi (newbie alert), six years ago I bought a raw recycled teak dining table - med/dark brown colour with a lot of visible grain (nothing like the 70's light teak). The grain was filled with a contrasting, light-coloured filler (I'm guessing) that made it look amazing. To my despair when I used Danish Oil as recommended, the filler completely disappeared. I haven't done anything else to it since.

I'm ready to bring it back to it's former glory, so how do I avoid what happened? I'm guessing the problem is something to do with oil based vs water based? I've googled and searched here but can't find anything definitive.

Also, I'm unsure whether to just fill and oil, or put some wax on as well. I think wax looks and feels great but will it survive on a table used daily?

Any answers, alternatives or product suggestions would be great. Thanks.
    Hi ,
    how do you mean 'the filler completely disappeared ' ? Did the danish oil dissolve it , or did the filler soak up the oil , taking on colour ?
    A photo or three would help .

It dissolved it instantly. Lots of empty grain to be filled now. I'll see what I can do about photos.

Here's a photo of the grain, no filler left.
    So if I'm using oil, should the grain filler be water-based or oil-based?
    And do people recommend putting wax on a table top used daily? I've heard it can be damaged by heat easily eg a coffee cup.

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

Some grain fillers are/were wax or used wax as the binder. It is possible that one or more of the components of the danish oil that you used took the wax with it .

You will have to find a filler and a finish that are compatible , as well as suiting your needs .
    I would only use the filler on the top , if you use one at all . There is no real need for it to be on the carcase or legs

If you want a 'closed grain' finish on the top , instead of filler , you could wet sand the danish oil in .