Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What height ladder most useful?

I have a sliding extension ladder but need an A-frame for general stuff around the house such as cleaning gutters, painting etc. From what I've seen the common ladders come in heights from 1.8m to 2.4m. What size have you found the most useful and did you find that you bought a ladder only to wish that you had bought another size?

Thumbs up Big

Tiger

2.4 very useful.

Regards Mike

Default Ya Ladder

Hi, I'm very wary of run of the mill A frame ladders, having worked for Telecom for about 20 years, the only type they used then was a very robust steps on both sides animal. The only problems I have now being out of the job is when required to use someone elses single sided ladder you tend to forget there aren't any steps on the other side and down you go!
    2.4 double sided sounds good to me!

Regards...oddjob1

Exclamation

Trouble with a 2.4 is that you can't use it indoors.

i bought a Gorilla adjustable ladder. It can be folde out to use as an extension ladder.

Can also be made into two shorter ladders for trestling.

Best money I've ever spent on elevation equipment.

Try 2.1m with steps on both sides... still works fine inside'

Cheers,

Chipman

Tiger
    My preference (40 years as a carpenter) is for a 2.1. It is easy to manouvre inside and you can shift it comfortably with on arm/hand if you have a paint tin in the other. I have found that a 2.4 is cumbersome and heavy and by the end of the day you are glad to get away from it.
    Like all these things its a comprimise. How high are your gutters to clean out, for instance. You may have to use the extension to do that.
    Remember too that for safety youshould only work to the 3rd rung down from the top!
    Those folding/duel ladders don't grab me either. But thats only my preference
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Thanks, gentlemen, I was actually looking at the 2.1m as it seems like a good compromise.

try trade ladder sales in clayton if they're close enough as I have found them to be good products good price
    Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they
    bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs .

Dave J Guest

I have had a bailey's comet ladder for years. For me it just seems to be a really handy ladder for every thing.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    The answer is another question, how high do you have to go? A 2.4 is not too good for me indoors as I have a 12ft ceiling.
    Often wish I had 8ft ones.
    Cheers,
    Jim

I have 8-ft ceilings in most of the house, 10 ft in the garage. I made some removable (bolt-on) extension legs (~2-ft), with steps, for both sides, for a standard 6-ft ladder.

I don't have an Uncle Bob. Maybe you do.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

I like your idea Joe. I assume that the extension legs are made from wood. Does the ladder lose any stability with the extension legs?

2.1m or 7' if you have a standard 8' ceiling you don't want it any taller, 1.8m or 6' is ok too but can be harder to get into the roof with through a manhole depending on how agile you are.
    If you didn't have an extension ladder already i would suggest getting the type that folds out, bailey make a good one.
    The advantage of a single sided ladder is that they are cheaper and lighter.
    I would also recommend getting an aluminium one and not a pressed steel one as they are lighter.
    I'm in the electrical trades so most of my ladders are fiberglass, i have 1.8m, 2.1m and 3m single sided steps, 0.9m double sided steps all bailey fiberglass and I also have cheap pressed steel 1.8m and 0.9m single sided steps which i inherited and much prefer to use the fiberglass ones or aluminium ones.

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post

i bought a Gorilla adjustable ladder. It can be folde out to use as an extension ladder.

Can also be made into two shorter ladders for trestling.

Best money I've ever spent on elevation equipment.
    A second vote for the Gorilla .
    Gorilla Ladders - Multi Purpose Contractor
    Best ladder i have ever owned or used and i am an electrician so spent half my life up a ladder.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I like your idea Joe. I assume that the extension legs are made from wood. Does the ladder lose any stability with the extension legs?
    Correct. Not a very good picture, but I think you can see it's well-connected for bracing. About 1-foot overlap for the strapping, and notched and screwed cross pieces.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain