Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Time Machine?

Boringgeoff is offline Try not to be late, but never be early.

Default Time Machine?

Morning all,

How's this work then? In my research of S E Robinsons 1877 brace wrench (US Pat 198685) this strange happening happened.
    I googled "sylvanus e robinson" and the first result took me to a forum with the query "Looking for info on Robinson Wrenches" the date on this post is 09. 05. 2007.
    Read down 4 posts and you come to a post by L Vanice who says "here is one on eBay right now." Click on the link "Robinson crank handle wrench" eBay opens and three tools down there it is............ Currently for sale!
    So what's going on, is this guy a Time Lord has he got a Tardis parked out the back? How can a post from 2007 link to a tool for sale today?

DumbfoundedGeoff.

Never trust an electron Geoff.
    Cheers,
    Jim

It's a lifeform, Jim, but not as we know it............ oops sorry wrong show. I don't think I've seen that episode, where the Doc battles the electron hordes.

Got a link?

It is possible to re-list an item, I'd assume it would still have the same id number and therefore the same link.. it doesn't seem to be likely that they re-listed the same item for the last 5 years though

EDIT: I redid your steps, you're not being linked to that exact item that you were looking for. That particular item is no longer for sale (It says so at the top), but Ebay uses the keywords from the URL to perform a search and returns you the result. That search is what you're seeing

Quote Originally Posted by Boringgeoff View Post
    It's a lifeform, Jim, but not as we know it............ oops sorry wrong show. I don't think I've seen that episode, where the Doc battles the electron hordes.
    The trick is not to think negative
    Cheers,
    Jim

codeMunck3y,
    you're a genius thanks for clearing that up. Yes I did see the bit about the item was no longer for sale. The wonders of modern technology.

Cheers

Geoff.

codeMunck3y,
    you're a genius thanks for clearing that up. Yes I did see the bit about the item was no longer for sale. The wonders of modern technology.

Cheers

Geoff.
    As my wife would say: havingaboylookgeoff !
    -Scott

Morning all,

How's this work then? In my research of S E Robinsons 1877 brace wrench (US Pat 198685) this strange happening happened.
    I googled "sylvanus e robinson" and the first result took me to a forum with the query "Looking for info on Robinson Wrenches" the date on this post is 09. 05. 2007.
    Read down 4 posts and you come to a post by L Vanice who says "here is one on eBay right now." Click on the link "Robinson crank handle wrench" eBay opens and three tools down there it is............ Currently for sale!
    So what's going on, is this guy a Time Lord has he got a Tardis parked out the back? How can a post from 2007 link to a tool for sale today?

DumbfoundedGeoff.

How about dat internet den?

That is a whicky-whacky piece of kit, Geoff !

Paul

There's a guy over here who lists stuff in poor shape for what you'd expect to pay for a mint item. He's been posting the same stuff for the last 3 or 4 years (as long as I've been looking, probably longer...). I thought maybe this was a similar case .

Cheers, Vann.
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

Yes I have to say my wife rolled her eyes when I related the saga to her about the magicalness of it all and the logical explanation.
    I really have to learn to sit and cogitate for a day before going into print.

Geoff.