Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Refinishing English Oak Nest of Tables

Hi

I'm in the process of stripping then re-finishing a nest of tables which are made of solid English oak - the tables are about 30 years old and used to have a dark varnish which was very popular at the time. The table legs are a turned wood, and the aprons have some (not overly elaborate) carving work in them.

I want to show the natural wood - so no stain, and am wondering what would be the best finish to use. I've used wipe on poly on a few pieces I've made with Tassie Oak, - and have been very happy with the ease of application and the finish, but am happy to try other finishes as well.

What would you advise.
    Thanks.

Default Refinishing nest of tables...

I would use the same wipe on poly, if you were happy with the results in the past then you know what to expect, and that's the final finish.

Good Luck

2 coats of shellac and wax

I've taken the yuk black stain off a few of these.
    the timber is usually a pretty gold and comes up well with just a sealer coat or two of shellac and a good wax.
    It gives an older and more traditional appearance than a wipe on polly and if you should mark it, just rub hard with wax, which makes the finish even better

Astrid

Default Poly vs Shellac

If you intend to use these tables for service, and not just for show.

Poly, has much better chemical resistance, and is more durable then shellac.

Shellac, has very poor chemical resistance, and is not very durable, but it is very repairable.

Think about your choices.

Good Luck