Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Electric drills

Default Electric drills

Just a reminder of what you already know, but I got careless twice in one day! For small jobs I use a cordless, but for more sustained drilling I plug in an electric drill with a cord.

I put the drill down too close to the end of the bench, snagged the cord and pulled the drill onto the floor where it landed drill point first penetrating my dust collector hose and fortunately not my foot.

I got the key in the chuck to change the drill and was lazy and did not turn off the power at the switch. I stupidly fingered the trigger as I held the drill and was lucky to escape without a chuck key in my eye.

I talk to myself, tell myself to take it easy and do it the proper safe way, but I persist in being stupid and in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost2 View Post
    I talk to myself, tell myself to take it easy and do it the proper safe way, but I persist in being stupid and in a hurry.
    Don't know if this helps, but you are not alone Glad to see you weren't hurt.

Thanks Groggy, and I hope I am not alone in lucky escapes rather than being careless.

Its when you leave the chuck key in a metal lathe chuck and start it up that gives you a scare, thats why they put those spring loaded ends on them nowdays
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

i am constantly knocking stuff on my benche onto the ground. still got all my tows thow. i think

left the key in the schools drill press when i first started. only broke one widow on the other side of teh classroom.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Thanks, you blokes, for this thread and posts. I am sure I have done many silly things but cannot remember any just now, which might be a good sign!

At my age, I need reminding to be careful and to think!!!, so thanks again.

Default About not thinking

Many years ago I was in a garage workshop watching some mechanics working on a car they were restoring. It was nearly finished and the,very experienced, head mechanic started to fit the new number plates.
    He must have been dreaming, or had a moment of abberation as he put his hand behind the plate to drill through it. I shouted, but- too late! The drill went right through his hand!
    He couldn't stop swearing afterwards- not so much at the pain, which was considerable,. but at his own stupidity...
    So you see- no matter how experienced you are, you can still do it.
    Dennis
    The collecting of facts is not the gaining of wisdom, or even knowledge; knowing that the earth is round does not prevent our falling off the edge of it.

We all make mistakes and it is the ones that we do are the ones that we need to learn from. It is the ones that others do that we need to pay attention to. I am learning and trying to always think but sometimes I just do not have the experiences thank you for the internet.

Glad you wern't hurt fencepost. Just shows that an accident can happen to the best of us, but can be easily averted as well.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Glad you wern't hurt

Perhaps a valuable lesson to all of us

Cheers,
    Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Millard View Post
    Many years ago I was in a garage workshop watching some mechanics working on a car they were restoring. It was nearly finished and the,very experienced, head mechanic started to fit the new number plates.
    He must have been dreaming, or had a moment of abberation as he put his hand behind the plate to drill through it. I shouted, but- too late! The drill went right through his hand!
    He couldn't stop swearing afterwards- not so much at the pain, which was considerable,. but at his own stupidity...
    So you see- no matter how experienced you are, you can still do it.
    Dennis
    Seen an experienced chippy do the same thing except it was through his left index finger. He was so mad at himself he didn't feel the pain for a while.
    Jim