Default Ducting a portable evaporative cooler?

To work properly, an evaporative cooler needs to avoid recycling the indoor air. Easy with a permanently installed unit, but not so practical with a portable.

So I was thinking about installing a duct to draw outside air directly into the unit with no entry of indoor air possible.

Has anyone tried anything like this or have any comments to make? I was planning to put the duct through the floor and take the air from under the house into the cooler since that is already cooler on a hot day. Somewhere else I will install a vent for the air to get out (probably into the roof space).

The main advantage I see with this is that I could leave the cooler running without having to leave windows open when I'm not home thus avoiding the risks of a change in weather (especially rain and strong winds), being robbed etc.

" The main advantage I see with this is that I could leave the cooler running without having to leave windows open "

You need windows open for a swampy to work or have vents.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    " The main advantage I see with this is that I could leave the cooler running without having to leave windows open "

You need windows open for a swampy to work or have vents.
    I was thinking of a vent to let the air out.

That said, I had a bit of a look at it this evening and I'm thinking that actually attaching a duct is going to be a bit harder than I thought. So maybe I'll just move it to the only window in the house that can safely be left open without risk of anyone getting in and then lock the others in position open enough to let the air out, but not let anyone in.