Red face introduction and confession!

Hi all !
    My name is Rod and I have a confession.
    I am not a woodworker, or metalworker, or a worker of any kind what-so-ever
    In fact, my passion is fishing!
    Why join this forum you may be thinking? Well...
    I've been researching a heap of old hand tools I inherited with my Father's untimely passing late last year, and have found this forum to be quite helpful, especially to the rank amatuer.
    These tools range from woodwork to metalwork and a few tools that I am yet to ID.
    With limited room for storage at my place (Dad had a big shed), I may need to part with a few of them.
    Due to my lack of knowledge, I admit that I will not be much of an asset to the forum, but perhaps in return for your help with tool ID a few of you may pick up a bargain or the missing tool to complete your collections
    Please excuse any stupid questions I may ask in the coming weeks.
    thanks
    rocket1975

Anyone with tools is welcome here. I don't need any more. Really I don't
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Hey Rod,

Welcome to the Forum, You only need to have the tools, you don't have to know how to use them, or even what they do, just have them, Like 90 per cent of the rest of us. I would bet that just about every one here has a tool in their possession that they don't know what it does, or why they have it.

HazzaB
    It's Hard to Kick Goals, When the Ba^$%##ds Keep moving the Goal Posts.

Check out my Website www.harrybutlerdesigns.com.au

Welcome Rod, the folk on this forum will ID any old tools you post pictures of.

Welcome to the forum. I also have at least one tool from my father that I have no idea what it is used for. One of those things that is on my list to clean up.

Hi Rod welcome to the world or wood and metal and and and ......even cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket1975 View Post
    Hi all !
    My name is Rod and I have a confession.
    I am not a woodworker, or metalworker, or a worker of any kind what-so-ever There's hope for you yet give us some time and we will sway you as well as thoughts of how and why your father enjoyed what he did
    In fact, my passion is fishing! We have a fishing section here to many tales of big ones that got away, we don't see many photo's of them though
    Why join this forum you may be thinking? Well... Cause your dad planted a seed an its just waiting to germinate its been waiting for the right conditions
    I've been researching a heap of old hand tools I inherited with my Father's untimely passing late last year, and have found this forum to be quite helpful, especially to the rank amatuer. See working already, he's watching and hoping
    These tools range from woodwork to metalwork and a few tools that I am yet to ID.
    With limited room for storage at my place (Dad had a big shed), I may need to part with a few of them. Thats not what he wants you to do now is it nor you for that matter the solution is easy bigger place bigger shed.
    Due to my lack of knowledge, I admit that I will not be much of an asset to the forum, That will change with time but perhaps in return for your help with tool ID a few of you may pick up a bargain or the missing tool to complete your collections Nice but we hope its you who realizes you need more tools.
    Please excuse any stupid questions I may ask in the coming weeks.
    thanks
    rocket1975
    There is no thing a a stupid question here, just stupid answers, differing opinions.
    Just think if your father used these tools for his work or pleasure it for you he may have done it.

Ray

Thanks all for your warm welcome, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    I've been surfing the forum over the last couple of days and have already found heaps of info.
    You may see me online at odd hours as my wife and I recently welcomed our first child to the family and 2-3 hourly feeds make for strange internet usage practices

The tools I now have are the combined collection of my Father, his Father and my Mothers Step-Father. That means that some have to be at least 50 years old (some maybe a fair bit older I suppose), but most seem to be in good condition.
    I will certainly be keeping my fair share of these both for practical, (I did pick up the odd handyman skill over the years) and sentimental reasons, but some will have to go as a bigger place is not an option for a while
    Rather than have a dealer come in and make a offer on buying them,
    I'd rather know what I have and see them go to a happy new home if possible.

Is there a specific forum location that I should post pictures requesting ID and likely values?
    Thanks again
    rocket1975

Is there a specific forum location that I should post pictures requesting ID and likely values?
    Post in the hand tools section, if it can't be identified there, it can't be identified.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

You will find plenty of interest here in your old tools. welcome aboard.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by rocket1975 View Post
    You may see me online at odd hours

What's odd about this time of the fact that you are online now?

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    What's odd about this time of the fact that you are online now?

nothing, nothing at all

I would like to thank all the members who have patiently responded to my endless questions on tool IDs and possible values.
    I am not nearly finished my search through Dad's old tools, and will undoubtably have heaps more to come.
    I have sold a few items, mostly on eBay (for a pittance), but was happy that my old man's vices found a new home with a forum member. Some items finish tonite, so if you are after a bargain check em out! Includes Yankee, Quick Wedge, Stanley and Cyclone drivers.
    Still to be listed are a heap of chisels, planes and assorted misc toolbox treasures.
    Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.
    rod

Thumbs up

G'day Rocket and welcome to the shed!!

Just hang around and you will find out some things you never ever dreamed about. We may even suck you into the vortex.