Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Door Jamb Depths

Hi Guys

Sorry I know someone listed it but I can't find the post now. I was after the common depths of jambs for different external constructions.

I.e. Am I correct that I need 19mm hardwood that is 120mm wide to make my jambs from? Based on 90mm studs + 10mm plaster + 19mm weatherboards? Or is there another allowance I am missing?

Thanks.

Have you allowed for the overlap of the weatherboards?
    TM

When making my own jambs, I always allow an extra 5mm for "deviation" and make it up in the architraves.

"Deviation?" I hear you ask. I've yet to work on any house, new or otherwise, where everything is plumb and perfectly to spec. How's the plaster mounted? Dabs of glue or nailed directly to the studs? There's one possible "missed allowance." Or how 'bout Sisalation or similar underlays behind the weatherboards? Every fraction of a mm adds up. Better to be slightly wide than too narrow.

And don't forget the afore-mentioned overlap!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Yeah ... I thought of the overlap after I posted!! Whoops.

There must be a standard that they would use in the kits etc. Anyway, I'll ask at the yard and if in doubt go a little larger.

Thanks.

Mine are 140mm. As far as I know that's a standard section size for double rebated external jambs. My walls are the same as yours.

Incidentally, I bought mine as a unit ready to install. The jambs are meranti and the sill is hardwood. The sill has an aluminium weather strip. Can't remember how much but not worth the trouble to make yourself, unless you have the timber lying around.

Thanks Silent.

I have called my normal 3 timber suppliers and they all have single exterior door jamb kits ... but none of them had kits for double doors. They all said they had the profiles and you could make them up yourself.

I don't think you are in the right are to recommend any suppliers unfortunately ...

I got mine from the same place I got my windows. Worth a try. I got them from Boral.