Hi All,

We recently purchased an early 70's unit with an attached garage with corrugated iron roof. As best I can tell it was built on the cheap - the pitch is only 1.4 degrees (0.11m fall over 5.2m) and combined with less than perfect support beams / construction it looks to have been pooling water for years and has developed a number of corroded sections and leaks. Time for a new roof!

The brick side walls of the garage are actually 'external' walls of our unit and our neighbours, with the eaves of the two units overhanging the garage roof by about 0.5m on each side along the entire 5.2m length. My thought was that since these sides are quite sheltered from the sun we could use something like Laserlite's fibreglass in frost white (http://www.laserlite.com.au/resident...fibreglass.asp) to allow in some diffused natural light so I can actually do some handiwork in the garage. We would then use corrugated iron sheeting along the centre of the garage (about 1.7m in width) to block the direct sun.

So..
1) Does it seem a reasonable approach to try to get the extra natural light via the translucent sheets along the sides, or are we better off going for metal sheeting the whole width?
2) I can't seem to find enough details to be able to tell if we could properly overlap the Laserlite 'corrugated' or 'deka' profiles with a corrugated metal sheet from stratco, lysaght, etc. Are corrugated profiles 'standard' in any way, or do you have to overlap them specially or find ones that fit?
3) Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, I will happily receive any advice
David.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...