Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default preparation of lead paint on lining boards

Hi, new to this so here goes.
    I'm renovating an old timber house 1900ish, and the lining boards have old lead based paint (Iam strongly suspecting, particularly as they were covered by plaster for 50 years).
    I am keen to paint with paint that has as low a toxicity as possible yet want a durable finish.
    What precautions should I take in sanding the walls as they are quite rough and should I use oil based primer/undercoat to seal?
    With an oil based undercoat/sealer do acrylic paints adhere satisfactorily to this base?
    It would be great to get some advice on preparing and painting these boards.

Cheers
    Jim

If you mean sanding the lead-paint walls, STOP. Do not sand the lead-based paint. The best way to deal with old lead-based is to seal it completely (or pay $$$$ to remove it). Paint with a good oil-based primer that seals well and then paint with whatever you like. Water-based acrylic is low toxicity.

If walls are rough, consider skim-coating them with gyprock compound to smooth the walls and seal the lead paint. DO NOT SAND THE PAINTED SURFACE.

Seal it up and you'll be good to go.
    Cheers,

Bob

Is it really that bad HB. I know that it is toxic in high doses and that it can cause developmental problems in young children but you make it sound like asbestos.

I would have thought that with some proper environmental and personal safety controls in place it wouldn't be too much of a problem ?

Maybe I am out of touch with the issue?? If so fill me in.

Any paint pre 1970 is likely to contain lead. Automotive and industrial paints have only fully removed the lead content in very recent years. It is not uncommon, or as isolated as you would like to think. Lead particles are released when old lead paint flakes and peels and collects as dust in ceiling, wall and floor voids. If dust is generated it must be contained. If runoff contains lead particles it must be contained. Lead is extremely hazardous, and stripping of lead-based paint and the disposal of contaminated waste must be carried out with all care. Lead is a cumulative poison and even small levels in the body can have severe effects.

That being said, you can protect yourself with dust overalls and breathing mask. This may only be a day or two of your work process, and it will give you protective results of the finished product.

Like asbestos, when managed correctly it is not as dangerous as people think. The main difference in danger is asbestos needs only one fibre to start problems. Lead is cumulative.

So these walls you need to sand would not be any more dangerous than car paint being sanded off and covering the user in dust. Just you will have many more hours of process than most people working on an old car. I would advise your personal safety and environment controls to be placed into effect while doing the job.

I've gone an done a bit of a cyber surf re lead paint removal. Basically seal the room in question after removing furnashings wet sand, respirator etc.

I notice that these sites say how bad lead paint is but fail to note that up until the removal of lead from petrol we were breathing and eating lead like you wouldn't beleive.

I did some work a while back at a Child Care Centre that was close to a major highway, they had to empty and replenish their sandpit once a month due to lead levels. Other centres in Sydneys Inner West had to hose down paving everyday to help reduce lead levels.

Seems that this may be an inconvienient truth that is best forgotten, its easier to blame paint.