Thread: Frosting glass

Default Frosting glass

Can anyone give me some ideas on a way to give a "frosted" glass look for an external window. This is for an area of a shop window for a volunteer run kiosk - therefore keeping the cost down is paramount.

Cheapest way is to apply a film.You can do it yourself or have the pros come out,and isn't at all expensive.Look up glass tinting in the yellow pages.The other option is to go to a craft store and buy the frosting gear they have there.It is a paint on product,but I don't know how good it is.

Tools

If you want a 'milky' look, then just get some white spray paint, stand well back, and off you go.

Its quite easy to get an even coverage, just practice on some scrap first.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Get some grits, sandpaper will do, garnet paper is better, aliminium oxide better still.

Keep the grits moist and rub it on the glass in a figure 8, put a block of wood in the abrasivepaper.

Try it on a scrap first.

The grit you want is about 120.

Takes a while but it can be done.( Im talking 10 to 15 minutes, not hours, for a small sheet of glass.)

Al

Quote Originally Posted by katydid
    Can anyone give me some ideas on a way to give a "frosted" glass look for an external window. This is for an area of a shop window for a volunteer run kiosk - therefore keeping the cost down is paramount.
    Hope this works .
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_kitchen_...1380895,00.htm
    Regards ,Bela
    forge

Quote Originally Posted by katydid
    Tools is on the Money!!

Frosted window film is very quick and the easy way to go, I have just had 6 windows & 2 glass doors done and they come up a treat

Cheers Ian
    Some People are like slinky's,
    They serve no purpose at all,
    but they put a smile on your face when you throw them down the stairs.

Presuming you may need to "restore" the glass to it's original condition sometime in the future, Tools has given you the best and least destructive option. Next is Bodgy's spray paint, although there is the risk of damaging the glass surface should you need to remove the paint at a later date.

The only other real DIY method is to use acid etching cream (available from some craft and glass suppliers), however this doesn't necessarily give an even finish and requires some washing of with water.

The traditional methods for frosting were either "professional" acid etching (see http://www.harradence.com.au/about_harr.htm ) or sand blasting but both are a permanent solution.

The "hacks" method of abrasive paper would be best left alone.

Thankyou everybody - I am still evaluating the best option- but if you have a loved one in the Mona Vale hospital - come on down to the kiosk and admire our "frosted" glass windows (but you may need to give us a short while to achieve the desired finish (whatever & however that may be!!)0