Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default red backs in fence and shed

I am starting to find a lot of redbacks in my metal shed, thought about the mortein mist spray cans, but not sure if they are only for fleas and roaches.

The next door neighbours grass is higher than the metal fence and the fence is about 6ft high, do you think they are coming from there.

Anyway the amount of redbacks is no longer funny, and I certainly dont want them coming inside the house.

Any suggestions, I know I can get an exterminator in but I cannot afford it, also I rent the property.

Thank You

John macklin

Red backs dont hang about in the grass thats why they like your shed.
    They are tough little buggers so common fly spray doesn't always knock them down go for the high strength gear thats a surface spray so it sticks to them.

cookie48 is offline Old Fart (my step daughters named me)

Try those bombs you can get in woolies etc. Work in my shed for most things. Not sure about redacks tho. Look out in the loo tho.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5yifFxGp2E&feature=related]YouTube - Wayne Horsburgh - Redback on the Toilet Seat[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by cookie48 View Post
    Try those bombs you can get in woolies etc. Work in my shed for most things. Not sure about redacks tho. Look out in the loo tho.
    When i was renting thats all i ever used with success or you can buy some real nasty poison from the hardware store and mix it with water and spray it about ,sometimes i mix it with diesel to make it last longer when spraying around wood

Thanks , ever the sensitive soul. Actually redbacks are not that dangerous, they have small mouthparts and are not aggressive. Normal insecticide/surface spray should be enough. They like dark covered spaces, so (I am sorry for this but) LET THE SUNSHINE IN (my hippy moment).
    Michael

Wood Butcher

Default Redbacks in shed

Thanks for your replies

CJR72 What is the name of the poison you mentioned from the hardware store OR Bunnings possibly

Thank You

JM

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

Does anyone know if these bomb sprays affect timber in any way?

Sorry to get off topic John, but I don't spose anyone knows if there's a better way than mouse traps to rid a colony of mice in the shed? I'm hesitant to use baits in case our dog comes across a poisoned mouse - she would eat it.

Cheers,
    Nathan.

This is probably no help whatsoever with your problem, but ...

I used to have a lot of redbacks in my garden shed, always finding them on the mower or any garden tool I picked up. Then one day I started to notice a few daddy longlegs taking up residence. Within a short time, the redbacks for all gone.
    Not sure if the daddy longlegs ate the redbacks or if the redbacks just felt the neighbourhood had gone to hell and moved out.

A bit of petrol, a match and mice are gone. Well so is the shed but you didn't say you wanted to keep it.
    I think there is a bait that is safe for cats and dogs if they eat a mouse killed by it but not sure of the name now. It also got them to go out of the walls to find a drink so no smells in the house etc.
    Cheers
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Quote Originally Posted by I_wanna_Shed View Post

Sorry to get off topic John, but I don't spose anyone knows if there's a better way than mouse traps to rid a colony of mice in the shed? I'm hesitant to use baits in case our dog comes across a poisoned mouse - she would eat it.

Cheers,
    Nathan.
    I am assured that dead mice are not an issue for dogs. The poison is an anticoagulant, by the time it has knocked off the rodent its ok for the next predator in line. But make sure the dishlickers cannot get to it. I have made up some rat cafes, boxes with narrow openings, mice/rats can get in but the gromett (my dog) cannot.
    Michael

Wood Butcher

Quote Originally Posted by macklin View Post
    Thanks for your replies

CJR72 What is the name of the poison you mentioned from the hardware store OR Bunnings possibly

Thank You

JM
    The stuff is made by ChemReco and its called TERMINANT,it does ants termites and spiders ,i buy mine from Home hardware

Quote Originally Posted by I_wanna_Shed View Post

Cheers,
    Nathan.
    While i was down in the shed i also found the name of the mouse baits i use which are not going to harm your dog ,its a BAYER product called RACUMIN,lately i been using those little wire mesh traps where they go in for a feed but cant get out,then i just drown them in a bucket ,stoppes the stinkin buggers dying in walls and hard to get at places

Mortein Black surface spray - works well on spiders

- also works extremely well on the black wasps which build stringy nest in the bushes I need to trim - to find where they are, lightly bang the bushes with the back of the large plastic rake, look for the cloud or singles of wasps then spray, find the strings and spray them also, the wasps virtually drop as soon as sprayed.

When I rented I just called the agent, and they got it sprayed at the landlords expense.

Still, Ficam W if you can get your hands on it...
    Semtex fixes all

Spray surface spray on walls and any carpet you have in shed, any nooks & crannies where it is always dark, for outside cislin 25 is a good insectide as is Moxthopr & Country which both have Bipanthian as an active, spray on trees/shrubs, shed/house walls etc very effective.
    Line your shed, my 25' x 40' shed is fully insulated & lined with MDF, so cutting out most areas spiders love to build their webs, think I found 5 live spiders in my shed all summer, found plenty of dead ones on floor after coming into contact with surface spray.
    Hope this helps.
    Don't let schooling get in the way of a good education:U