Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Where to get Gen Chamois leather?

Hi Everybody,

I'm a new member and thought I would introduce myself, and see any of you can source something .

A little bit about me. I restore and repair piano cases. Anything from a full case to little dings. I know a fair bit about finishes and colour matching so I hope that I will be able to chime in if anyone needs help with that sort of thing. I don't apply French polish, I think that most French polishing is done by hobbyists these days simply because no one can afford to pay the sort of money it costs to do even a small french polish job.

Now to my question. Where can you get genuine chamois leather? Most of the stuff you see for sale these days is scraped-back sheep leather. I think there might be some issue about the chamois goat being endangered or rare. Perhaps some one might know of something that is just as good. I will be using it to rub back laquer using a 50/50 mix of meths and thinner, so I think that any synthetics may not be suitable.

I have been enjoying reading through the old posts on the board and I'm amazed at the quality of the advice and the generosity of those members taking the time to hand on their experience.

Pianoman

Welcome, Pianoman.
    You could try Birdsall Leather

http://birdsall-leather.com.au

Not sure if they have genuine chamois, but they seem to have most leathers and buckles, etc.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Hi pianoman,

You should be able to get genuine chamios in Sydney.

Good auto parts sellers normally have it, if not try some of the auto smash repair trade suppliers. French polishers would have a supplier also.

You are right about the synthetic stuff, lacquer thinner will just dissolve it.

The sheep skin variety should work OK anyway you could finish off the surface with a lambwool buff which would bring it up one shade better than off the chamios pull pad.

Skin a chamoi.

Might be an idea to shoot it first. :eek:
    I don't think they're a noxious animal or anything, but I'm pretty sure you can still get permits to hunt them, you could a couple of years ago anyhow.
    Boring signature time again!

[QUOTE=pianoman]Hi Everybody,

I'm a new member and thought I would introduce myself, and see any of you can source something .

Hi Pianoman

It sounds like you don't require a huge amount of it (can you give me an idea of how much you require?) Skins and Hides are usually sold by the square m

and where are you located I buy my saddlers hides from a few places Aus wide but if I need kangaroo I use Packer Leather but I've got a huge range of net links that can I can give you but I'm heading out to a wholesale place tomorro here in Bris I can enquire if they have any and find out their prices (I don't use too much goat skin in the saddlery) LOL but I can certainly ask around
    but if you can give me an email Off list with size you require I will certainly do my best to help
    Cheers Biotechy2k email [email protected]

Signatures should be an evolving Machination

http://www.spearheadvibrations.com/video.html

Stay human

Biotechy2k

offlist mail sent.

Thanks