Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bread makers

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Default Bread makers

My latest loaf is about fifteen minutes away from that magic beep. Already, the house reeks of fresh bread. The last loaf lasted ... one lunchtime - extra thick doorstops for the lad, a sandwich for the lass, two extra thick sandwiches for me, plus bread and butter for us all. I seem to remember we all felt a tad overly stuffed, but it was worth it.

Fresh bread rates up there with good whisky ... but I don't expect the kids to appreciate that just yet :eek:

Cheers
    Richard

Warning.... the bread may seem light BUT the stuff you stick on it before you stick it in your face will make you heavy.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Pinched off a loaf earlier Richard but I don't think that's what you're talking about

We (self, bride & kids) love the home made bread, we got a Palsonic model that wasn't being used by the inlaws, and it works a beauty.

Laucke Crusty White is a nice flavour mix.

Cheers..............Sean, slice of heaven

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

You will find that it will taste even better if you throw out the bread machine and do it all by hand.
    Mick

avantguardian

Yeah, we've got one of them in the cupboard somewhere. Somehow it just seems easier to buy a loaf of the ready-made stuff while you're at the supermarket buying the bread mix and other paraphenalia.

Now, if we grew our own wheat and yeast, that would be different.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick
    You will find that it will taste even better if you throw out the bread machine and do it all by hand.
    A man after my own heart

Craig (amateur baker )

My little sister has been lined up for awhile to teach me bread making - it's finding time that's the problem ... and the dreadful oven in this place (I HATE renting). I will get there, but there is a manic simplicity to tossing everything into the machine and hitting the 'start' button ... after three failed attempts to select the right cycle (grrrr grumble snarl spit).

Be warned though, if you were to share your method I might just be tempted to give it a go

Cheers
    Richard

if you were to share your method I might just be tempted to give it a go
    It's simple. You walk into the bakers and say "a fresh, sliced loaf of your finest white, my good man (or woman)".

For the aroma of freshly baked bread at home, I recommend taking a slice and putting it in the microwave on high for 30 seconds.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Ahh Silent. As a man who loves his bread in all its many forms and flavours, I can not agree with you. While bakeries produce many fine loaves and while it is always a pleasure to test chomp a new find, nothing compares with home made. Home made has a different texture, different crust and that nice feeling that comes from f@#$%% it up ... errrr ... doing it yourself.

Cheers
    Richard

We used to get our bread delivered by Mr Granger in his Holden panel van when I was a kid. Straight out of the oven, sometimes still warm. I used to hack the end off the loaf when I got home from school and wash it down with a glass of milo. You knew it was lovingly hand made because every now and then you'd find a hair in it. Yes, the introduction of hair nets into food preparation areas was timely....

Of course, the same bakery was only a couple of years ago found guilty of negligence when some rat dirt found it's way onto some sesame seed buns. Mr Granger would turn in his grave...

Maybe I should get that machine out of the cupboard....

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles
    Ahh Silent. As a man who loves his bread in all its many forms and flavours, I can not agree with you. While bakeries produce many fine loaves and while it is always a pleasure to test chomp a new find, nothing compares with home made. Home made has a different texture, different crust and that nice feeling that comes from f@#$%% it up ... errrr ... doing it yourself.

Cheers
    Richard
    Now now Daddles. whacking mass produced and mass mixed premix into a machine does not constitute doing it yourself. otherwise cuppa soup or lotsa nooldes could be misconstured as "doing the cooking" rather than "boiling water and pouring" - an discussion had in my house a number of times now....

I recommend geting a starter of sourdough and making bread that way - complicated, expensive and time consuming but well worth the effort if you got the time
    Zed

Zed, I do not know that sourdough is expensive, time consuming yes, but not expensive. After all you do not buy premixes which sell for 50-100% more than the flour. Godd sourdough has a taste and texture that other breads can not compete with. I make a fair bit of the bread at home and much of it by hand, bread machines have a limited capacity and I like to make more than 8 rolls when I make it.

The Jamie Oliver recipe is about as simple a starting point as you can get, 1kg flour, 600ml water, 2 tbsp oil, 2tbsp sugar, 2tbsp salt ( a bit much I think and I only use 1) and 2tsp yeast. Makes about a dozen dinner rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    I recommend geting a starter of sourdough and making bread that way
    Getting a starter of sourdough :eek:

Come come Zed you can make your own for nix.

Here is an excellent description of the process:
    http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...sourdough.html

I don't make bread often enough to do sourdough myself

Homemade bread with store bought yeast does me.
    Last edited by craigb; 8th June 2005 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Added link

throw in some smarties or "hundreds and thousands" in the next batch. The kids will go crazy with lolly bread!
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

I get the best outcome by making the dough in the breadmaker, and then cooking the loaf/rolls in the oven (or in the webber with a nice roast lamb). Comes out a treat.

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen