Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default When Tung Oil isn't tung oil

A reminder of the problem of relying on the name of a product rather than reading the contents of the tin:
    http://www.hardwoodlumberandmore.com.../WhatToDo.html

I reckon it is good to be in Australia where this is called misleading and deceptive conduct in trade and commerce and is illegal.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Good article and a very interesting read. It reminds me somewhat of the Imitation Maple Syrup they sell in the supermarkets - not a patch on "real" maple syryup.

I recall being told by a sales rep. for the largest chemical/paint co. who shall remain nameless that a "cup" of tung oil was "waved" over the mixing vat of oil based polyurethane and then marketed as Tung Oil. Total tung oil content was negligable. So much for corporate integrity.

Sounds like "Lemon flavoured drink" some of them boast about having 5% lemon juice!

Certanly pays to do your homework and learn the terminology.
    I think a good deal of it is not so much that people don't care whats in the can, but that there's a whole industry out there that puts in every hour of every day thinking up new was to exchange their product for your money, whether it's what you actual wanted or not. For the sake of the argument I shall refer to this industry as "Marketing".
    This industry is responsible for the ruining of words like unlimited, ultimate and other catch words/phrases.

Hmmm looks like I stepped onto that soapbox without realising.

Ben

Where does all this put the terms "Tasmanian Oak" or "Kiwi fruit"? Is that false advertising?
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

More marketing garbage. Don't know about kiwi fruit, but Tas. oak is not oak. It is in fact a mixed blend of Aussy mixed species eucalyp. Namely Manna gum (crap timber, not even a good firewood), Messmate and mountain/alpine ash. Here in E. gippsland they market timber called "Wormy Chestnut". Also very poor quatity back sawn mix of Messmate, Silvertop Ash and any other crap they can get their hands on. Mind you it doesn't look too bad finished. More marketing bull@@@@. At least they're doing something usefull with it and not pulping it. As happens to the vast majority of bush being clear- felled in this area.