Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bathroom renovation - help please

Hi Everyone,

As helpful as this site has been, I still need a bit more help. Due to a leaking shower I've decided to completely gut my bathroom and have replaced the floor with 19mm green tongue flooring and 6mm cement sheet on top of this, the fibre cement wall sheeting should be going on this weekend.

The questions I have though are

1. I want to install a hobless, frameless shower, how would I go about this, I read that I need a 40mm aluminium angle on the floor edge of the shower screen and then mortar this to the waste. Can anyone advise on this?

2. I have a freestandanding corner spa that I want to install, how would I go about this when I have raise the floor to match the shower? would I raise the floor then put the spa on top of this, or should I install the spa and work the floor around it?

3. I read that because I have cement sheeting on the ground that I have to waterproof the floor, can anyone confirm this and recommend a DIY waterproofing kit?

4. Just a stupid thought, if I get a frameless shower that comes with a hob, am I able to install the hob and tile over it to match the rest of the floor?

Many thanks

Hongy,
    the best source of information is from the installation manulas of the james hardie website. Basically you will need a mortar bed that is reinforced and slopes to the floor waste within the shower and on the outside, slopes to the bathroom floor waste. The highpoint is the top edge of the aluminium angle with which your tiles will be level. Prior to the application of your mortar bed you need waterproofing. I would pay a waterproofing contractor to do the job since a hobless installation is difficult even for someone experienced with membranes.

There are regulations fopr the use of PVC or gal flashings at corners too, make sure you read these prior to installing your wall sheets. BTW using 15 or 18mm compressed FC sheet is probably easier than green tongue with CTU, especially if you DIY the waterproofing

Cheers
    Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by hongy

1. I want to install a hobless, frameless shower, how would I go about this, I read that I need a 40mm aluminium angle on the floor edge of the shower screen and then mortar this to the waste. Can anyone advise on this?
    Yes, you must do this to isolate the shower bed from the bed in the rest of the room, otherwise water will wick out.
    2. I have a freestandanding corner spa that I want to install, how would I go about this when I have raise the floor to match the shower? would I raise the floor then put the spa on top of this, or should I install the spa and work the floor around it?
    I can't think of a burning reason to prefer either way.
    3. I read that because I have cement sheeting on the ground that I have to waterproof the floor, can anyone confirm this and recommend a DIY waterproofing kit?
    Yes, it must be waterproofed and I would have it done professionally. The (reasonable)cost of a waterproofer is good peace of mind compared to rectifying water leakage.
    4. Just a stupid thought, if I get a frameless shower that comes with a hob, am I able to install the hob and tile over it to match the rest of the floor?
    Why go to the extra cost and I think you would have a pretty deep bed of mortar to make too.

Agree with Pulse, visit Jame Hardie site.

Cheers
    Michael

Hongy,

I am the owner of a major frameless shower screen company in Sydney, not replying to drum up business as we don’t go to Canberra but I hear questions like this all the time. My advice on the frameless screen is not to have a hob, frameless screens are a very modern look and hobs are now out dated. Waterproofing and tiling i would recommend is done by professionals if a frameless screen is your wish. Frameless screens are meant to be shape cut to the tiling and if careful consideration is not put into sealing and design of the screen IE Door location and screen configuration you will be stuck with a shower that leaks badly. There are also many other considerations when selecting to buy an "off the shelf" screen or pay a company to do it.

So I don't bore all the other readers of this thread PM me if you have any specific questions and I’ll be more than happy to help

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by miff
    Hongy,

I am the owner of a major frameless shower screen company in Sydney,
    Hi Miff - Could I have your opinion on the imported - ready to install frameless shower screens. Considering 900x900 10m safety glass. What should I be paying for these.

Thanks.>>DC

Hi,

These screens can be picked up for anything from $600 - $1000 have a browse on ebay. It is all square cut glass and i'm sure your walls / floor arn't. Installed screens are normally a 2-3mm gap/silicone join, trust me a 10mm silicone join on an out of plumb wall looks like a shop front in your bathroom . 10mm glass is 25kg per SQM, think about how you will put it all in place without slipping or dropping it. another $500 or so and you can have a friendly shower screen man come and measure/shape cut the glass and put it in for you. But im Bias as you would expect. Fitting/hinge quality is a big thing to consider also. You get what you pay for.

Paul

Thanks - that's a good point. Will get the set square out and have a check. You must be tooo cheap as I have been quoted $2200 for custom made 900x900 and nearly had a heart attack!!

DC

Hi DC,

Sorry i replied to your question of an imported one, $2200 is about the same as us fully installed 2 year warranty if we did it, all locally made, Sorry for any confusion. fully installed frameless isn't cheap but worth it.

Paul