Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default WOODWORKING QUIZ for 12 Sept 04

Good Evening Friends,
    You are planning to build a stairway in a room that is 3000 x 3600mm and your floor to floor measurement is 2625mm. Now the only thing is the main part of the stairs is to run on the 3000m wall, so it will require a landing. the tread cut will only be 250mm

How high will the landing be off the existing floor and what size will it be?

I don't know if I got the m or mm correct but you get the picture.

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio

Ralph,
    seeing how one wall is 3km long :eek: there's plenty of room to make the run without a change in direction. You might need to break it with a landing just to keep the treads per single run down to a legal number (13 from memory?).

Mick (the smart@rse, who's too buggered from firefighting for the last 2 nights to bother whipping out a calculator to work this one out )
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hello Mick,
    Thanks for your quick reply, and we lost one of our landmarks as our local paper printing company burnt down last night. So it looks like we won't be getting a local paper for a while. Also thanks for informing me that the correct term is KM instead of mm.

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio

Good Evening Mick,
    I trust you are rested up after yesterday and you are correct that there would be thirteen treads with the sixth being the landing and the last one before the second floor,

Here is the method I used to build the stairs. I cut stringers with 6 risers to the landing @ 7.5" and then from the landing I cut 8 risers @ 7.5" with the last rise being the second floor. The landing was 60" x 36" therefore the second lift would rest on the landing. 6 rises @7.5" =45" and 8 rises @ 7.5" =60" or 105" over all. there was no need to worry about headroom as the stairwell was open.

Thank you for your support.

Respectfully,
    Ralph Jones Woodworking
    London, Ohio