Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How tall should the Stink pipe be?

Our 100mm diameter vent pipe for the sewer stands nearly 2 meters above our roof and has two braces tri-angled down onto the edge of the gutter which is causing some problems with the gutter alignment and water flow.

I notice that our neighbours have different sizes - on about a meter and the other about 450mm and no braces.

Can I shorten it down and remove the braces?

David L

EDIT; I've solved my short term problem by moving the collar on the pipe holding the braces back up to where it was originally (amazing what you can see when actually looking at the problem up close on the roof ) This pulled the gutter back up and in line again. But my original question still stands - can I do away with the braces?

What kind of roof do you have?
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Also, how far is the opening from the nearest external window/vent?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

What kind of roof do you have? Tiled
    Also, how far is the opening from the nearest external window/vent?
    Toilet window is directly below it under the eave
    David L

That's a big vent. The only time I've seen one that's 100mm is on the boards main.

My advice is that this type of set up is a pain in the butt and therefore the plumber who did it origionaly wouldn't have done it unless it was required.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Mate unless its a trafficable roof, you only have to have the vent 600mm above any opening into a building (windows, vents etc) and thats if that opening is within 3m horizontal distance to the vent, otherwise it only has to be 150mm above where it pokes through the roof. Unless you have a chimney, where the vent has to be either 2m above the chimney or 600mm below it, and thats only if the chimney is within 3m horizontally of the vent.

Wonderplumb is right, but Council Bylaws can increase these clearances. The last place I worked on spec'd 1500mm minimum. (I'm not a plumber, but could be called a general contractor - who gets "sucked in" to helping on all sorts of jobs around sites. )

100mm is oversized and I'm wondering if someone has slipped a length of 100mm pipe over a pre-existing vent. If so, you could remove it but then I'd be wondering why they extended it. The original failed council inspection? To get rid of a pong?

- Andy Mc

They may have replaced an old rolled tin vent at some stage and kept it the same size to keep it simple. You do see some places with 4" vents getting around, the only instance I can think of where they require a 100mm vent on a single residence is in Sylvania Waters where they are on a vaccumm system.

Your exactly right wonder plumb and that's also my point exactly.

If some one has gone to all the trouble of putting the vent in such an awkward pain in the butt position regarding installation

It must be for a reason,

You and I and anyone else wouldn't put the vent in that location unless it absolutely, no other choice, had to go there.

My advice is that it has been put there for a reason- leave it there, or call a plumber who can check out the small details, then you can move it with confidence otherwise- don't move it. It's not something that gets done out of lazieness, or an apprentice stuff up, It's only done when it's needed.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Spot on Bricks. If you really wnt to cut it down wombat, call a drainage inspector to come and have a look, it will probably be cheaper than a plumber and he will give you an answer on the spot. Just dont let him know you'll do it yourself, tell him your going to have a plumber around to do some work and you want to know if you can get him to trim it down while he's there. Otherwise he might say leave it where it is, and if he's a hard mongrel, and a lot of them are he may do a drive by when he's in the area and may serve you with a notice to fix it.

Do any significant amounts of anything actually come out of these vents? Or is it just a pressure balancing thing?

I've never noticed even the slightest smell when working around one and have been attaching my christmas display fog mister pole (about 3m long) to it for years without trouble.

They let more air in than out. Unless your in a boundary trap area its also the water boards way of venting their mains.

Also, a healthy drainage system doesn't normally smell.

However, like people, they can become "ill" from a variety of causes and then... Peee-ew! Far better vented outside than through your sinks.

- Andy Mc

I am looking at doing the same and replacing my large 100mm tin stink pipe with the smaller 2inch plastic. Wonderplumb - am I allowed to run 90 degree bends where it comes out of the earth to move the stink pipe across as I wish to place my hot water system where the pipe comes up out of the ground or do I have to use 45 degree bends to get it to my desired location?

Regards john