Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Want to add dead man's switch to belt sander

I recently purchased a cheapish belt sander - just need it to rough out the shape on some metal before I do the finer work with hand tools... I'm happy enough with how it runs but am really put off by the fact that the on/off switch is at the back - no matter whether you are using the sanding belt or sanding disk - it is set behind them both... I have positioned it on the corner of the bench so I can walk around to the back to turn it off rather than having to lean over moving parts...

Anyway, I'd be a lot happier with a switch in the front... or a food pedal to cut the power in case of an accident.... an accident like getting clothing caught in moving parts, letting go of something I'm sanding and getting it jammed behind the guide at the back.... or just injuring myself in some general way... I want to be able to turn the thing off in an emergency without reaching over the machine or walking around the back. Are there any standard power pedals or something specifically for this purpose - something I could plug the machine into before plugging it into the wall?

Failing that, are there any ideas on some sort of substitute for a safety switch?

Two things come to mind.
    purchase a triton saw bench switch assembly as a spare part and mount it complete, has a plug & socket on it no wiring.

Timbecon have a switch assembly as an accessory to their router / saw bench thing that may be purchased as a part. Has flying tails with plug & socket. no wiring required.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Default Try this

Sturdee has a good idea

You could make your own from a house hold switch but otherwise try this.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind...Path=110_19540