Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Is it possible? I wonder...

For some reason, I've recently got the idea in my head that, with a little change to the gearing (perhaps just reversing the cogs), and the exchange of a cutterhead with a roller, you could use an old thicknesser as a 12" sander.

Anyone around who really knows these things? Is it possible? I am thinking that it would be feasible, even if a hundred or so was spent on getting a roller to fit.

Why not?
    The roller/drum would pay to be bigger than the cutter head, depending on the actual machine?
    Most drum sanders have a 1420rpm 4pole motor direct drive.(well mine has anyway)

The thicknesser cutter head operates at a very high speed otherwise you could use it as part of a belt sander setup instead of a drum.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Hi Groggy You might be onto something !!!

You might be able to get away with the standard cutter head, just use some old ground down blades to hold the sandpaper inplace. Slowing it down is probably a good idea.

I'd say the main area you need to work on would be the feedrate.

Too slow a feed rate and you'll burn the timber and possibly the paper. Too fast a feed rate and you wont be able to take enough material off , this would cause additional stress on the bearings etc.. as the thicker timber is forced through the thicknesser and the finish would suffer (possibly gouges and dips) .

Too make things even harder the feed rates required will change depending on the timber being sanded and the grit of sand paper being used.

JoeZ

I have though about this too. Could you slow down the speed of the cutterhead by changing the diameters of the pulleys, and maybe adding an extra pulley?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein