Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fruit & Veg Co-op/club Melbourne

Hei Guys,
    Asking this for a friend.
    Years ago some friends of mine here in Perth were in a fruit & veg co-op/club.
    This was basically a club where people would gang together to be able to buy enough quantity to get wholesale prices.

Anyone know if such a system exists in Melbourne (around the Frankston area) or where you would go to find out.

Cheers
    Paul

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I recall a few operated around the suburbs for all food items and they were funded/supported by local council, a call to a local community worker (welfare worker) would probably reveal a source, if they still exist.
    I seem to recall that you had to show a health care card or whatever as they were put in place for low income earners and pensioners, I am not aware of any individual buying groups.
    Having said that you can buy direct from the markets (I think it's still Footscray) and distribute amongst your friends, providing you don't mind 3.00am starts.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy
    Anyone know if such a system exists in Melbourne (around the Frankston area) or where you would go to find out.

Cheers
    Paul
    Don't know of any Paul, but why doesn't your friend go to the Dandenong market which is cheap and close enough to Frankston.

Peter.

Smidsy, you're freaking me out. Only last monday my missus and a friend established a co-op for organic fruit and veg. It's all certified and excellent quality. As far as value for money goes it beats the hell out of retail prices, but it's still a bit pricey compared to conventionally grown stuff. The girls can deliver local to us (let's say suburbs around Southland S.C. if you know the area) but pick-up could be easily arranged if your friend was interested- we're about half an hour's drive from Frankston.

I'm not sure if the co-op's trading terms have been finalised, i.e. whether membership is required before a purchase can be made, but anyone who may be interested is welcome to PM me for further info.

Regards,
    Rusty.
    The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Thumbs up

We have an established co-op for organic fruit and veg up here in Cairns & the tablelands. We buy from the Biodynamic Marketing Co. in Poweltown & get it trucked up in a fridge truck on a pallet once a fortnight.Good food at good value for money.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Hei Rusty,
    I'll pass this on to my friend and PM you if she wants further info.
    She is on a pension so organic (even at co-op rates) may be a bit beyond her means.
    Cheers
    Paul

Still freaking me out, Smidsy...I was just talking about this with my wife before I logged back on. It happens that the Co-op Federation of Victoria is based in Frankston. Website is here:

http://www.australia.coop

They seem to be more about the how to's of running co-ops than anything, but they may be able to steer your friend towards something that suits her.

Boxes sized to suit a family of five are currently $50.00 from "our" group and go down from there. SWMBO has heard of a co-op based down towards Frankston way, and I'll post if I can find out more.

Cheers,
    Rusty.

(P.S. Pensioner discounts are being discussed.)
    Last edited by Rusty; 22nd April 2005 at 12:45 AM. Reason: P.S. added
    The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Quote Originally Posted by smidsy
    Hei Rusty,
    I'll pass this on to my friend and PM you if she wants further info.
    She is on a pension so organic (even at co-op rates) may be a bit beyond her means.
    Cheers
    Paul
    Whats wrong with Pal??
    Lots of oldies eat it, and it cheap.

Al